Holler if Ya Hear Me.

skynyc
This topic is 3609 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My theatrical shak(e) up this week not only included Shak(espeare) but also Shak(ur). Tupac Shakur to be exact.

The production of Holler if Ya Hear Me with music by the famous rapper is currently in previews at the Palace Theater in Times Square. Yes, THAT Palace Theater.

First thing I noticed: they have reconfigured the orchestra section into stadium seating which climbs up to the bottom of the balcony, and leaving the 500+ seats in the back of the orchestra unsellable. Second thing I noticed: the logo on my Playbill is a rainbow (instead of yellow) in honor of Pride month. Very cool. And now to the show...

I snickered to friends about going...typical "I'll see ANYTHING" cracks, but I really WAS curious. I truly wonder if a hip-hop/rap musical will work on Broadway.

And I am still wondering. In the interest of full disclosure, I left at the end of intermission. As the lights were going down again, I just thought, "I am tired...and this isn't going to end well."

There were several issues for me. First, the gentleman playing the lead, Saul Williams, is a famous poet and rapper with numerous books and an illustrious performance history. I have never heard of him, and sadly, I could not understand him when he was rapping. I'd catch the occasional word, and the emotional intensity translated fine, but I couldn't understand the words. They were spoken too quickly, with a beat that overshadowed them. To a lesser extent I had the same problem with the several other cast members. But it was most true for the first act closer, which was the title song. I knew the lyrics were about injustice and hatred, frustration about gangs, poverty and social injustice, but couldn't hear 80%, except the oft-repeated "Holler if ya hear me."

Now sure, I saw Macbeth this week, and didn't hear every word...but I know Macbeth, and perhaps that's the difference. Had I listened to, (or read the lyrics of) one of Tupac's albums, maybe I would have known what they were saying. Maybe I would have cared more.

Another thing that struck me, is that anyone can recite a rap. Look at Hugh Jackman on the Tonys. LOL. I have great admiration for those who can compose a rap on the spot, but reciting a rap song is just a matter of rote memory. I think my mom could learn the words and beats and send out a jive that would get a million hits on youtube. And maybe that's why I don't care about the genre as a whole. When I hear a song, sung by a great singer...Kelli O'Hara singing Almost Real from Bridges..., Brian Stokes Mitchell singing Wheels of a Dream from Ragtime, So Far Away sung by Carol King, I am carried away. When I hear a rap, I can be impressed by the lyric, but have never been carried away.

Also, throughout, the use of the "N" word was continual. Every tenth word in most of the songs. It bugged me every time. I understand that it's apparently okay when "they" use it..."it's part of the culture." But since it connotes racism and ruins people's careers when "we" use it, I still don't like to hear it.

But I WAS interested...the performers are working very hard, and while the issues and storyline were important...senseless violence, anger and prejudice, injustice, revenge, frustration, I just didn't find myself caring. Many of these issues were in West Side Story...but the one thing missing here (other than the Bernstein score) was hope. I didn't know who a couple of the characters were, and while I was saddened by the early random death and the homeless man being tended to by the community, I wasn't drawn in.

The rest of the audience. Yes, most of the audience was white, and applause at the end of the numbers was pretty small. There was no clapping or fist-pounding, cheering or calling (as was encouraged by director Kenny Leon before the lights went down). There was a fairly large number of folks who left at intermission...

I suspect that younger, hipper folks will enjoy it. I bet Jimmy Fallon has them on his show and gives them a huge plug. But a big part of me wonders if folks are going to come to Times Square and pay $139 to see this. Time will tell.

I got my ticket through an audience filling club for $4. I was in the rear mezz and the house was pretty full, but the balcony wasn't open. I suspect that much of the theater was papered or on discounts. The show opens on June 19th and has an open run.

I would very much like to hear other thoughts on this show, so although I cannot really recommend it, I hope some of you will go. LOL

Average ticket price for this show last week was $24.10. It seems as if it is a vanity production and not expected to do so well. Rap is an acquired taste, and many theater-goers have yet to acquire it. It probably would have helped if you studied the lyrics first, but I don't do that either.

There is a thread here on Playbill's plan to use the Playbill to acknowledge gay history for the month of June. It's the first time that they have ever altered their cover. http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?98832-Playbill-Celebrates-Gay-Pride-Month

BTW, thanks for taking one for the team!

My club is play-by-play...and I have a friend who uses Theaterextras a lot. We both have had pretty good luck seeing many Broadway shows in early previews, and lots of concerts and cabaret things. Sorry, I don't know Audience Extras....

I just make sure I check the website every few hours if I have a free night upcoming.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't this line tickle you just a bit?

"Eric L. Gold, the lead producer of the Tupac Shakur-scored musical Holler If Ya Hear Me — about hope, friendship and life on the city streets — is hoping to raise $5 million to sustain the production until box office improves, according to Variety."

Now who would invest in a show that is hemorrhaging money? And how optimistic is it to believe that the box office will improve?

Michael Reidel in today's NYPost reveals:

"What’s this I see: “Holler if Ya Hear Me,” the Tupac musical, is still open?

I predicted it would close two weeks ago, and yet it defies me by going on, piling up the red ink. The nerve!

Last week it took in $145,000, a figure so minuscule you can see it in Variety only if you have a magnifying glass.

I hear the person keeping the show afloat is Chunsoo Shin, a South Korean producer who’s apparently rolling in won.

He’s so rich, he also backed “Jekyll & Hyde” (total performances: 30), “Chaplin” (135) and “The Story of My Life” (five!).

Chunsoo’s got an instinct for the winners."

There a deep pocket behind this production and thus will run for however long he continues to pile on the cash.

Judging from his other efforts he seems to be on a losing streak.

ED

Archived