Actor Leaves Stage To Boot Rude Patron

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3630 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not every gay person is into film history, or divas, or even theater. If you are, good for you, but it hardly makes you a better gay person than anyone else. So Lady Beldon is of limited appeal these days, as is Mrs. Miniver.

MrMiniver, on the other hand, is quite popular.

And, MrMiniver - I thought your comment was quite Whitty indeed. :D

I have not idea either, until this post. Whitty is a reference to the last name of the star of Alfred Hitchcock's British film, "The Lady Vanishes." "The Lady Vanishes" is known still because it's Hitchcock, and the film is one of his best -- but it was filmed in the 1930s -- a long time ago.

I have not idea either, until this post. Whitty is a reference to the last name of the star of Alfred Hitchcock's British film, "The Lady Vanishes." "The Lady Vanishes" is known still because it's Hitchcock, and the film is one of his best -- but it was filmed in the 1930s -- a long time ago.

Actually, you're sort of wrong in this case. Whitty is an obvious reference to Dame May Whitty who plays Lady Beldon in Mrs. Miniver -- one of the most popular films of the 1940s.

Actually' date=' you're sort of wrong in this case. Whitty is an obvious reference to Dame May Whitty who plays Lady Beldon in Mrs. Miniver -- one of the most popular films of the 1940s.[/quote']

I am aware that "Mrs. Miniver" is a film from the 1940s. I probably saw it as a child, and after this discussion I hope to watch it again soon. I would rather be sort of wrong, as opposed to using google to link Whitty to "Mrs. Miniver" not "The Lady Vanishes" a film I know well.

Isn't the point of playing word games to not use google?

Would you rather we talk of something even Whittier? Like "Dear Lord and Father of mankind..." ;)

Wild guess: Could be a religious song and/or patriotic song sung during World War II and featured specifically in a film. Whitty apparently appeared in several films that took place during World War II. I'll be interested to know the answer.

Wild guess: Could be a religious song and/or patriotic song sung during World War II and featured specifically in a film. Whitty apparently appeared in several films that took place during World War II. I'll be interested to know the answer.

lol - no - Whittier, not Whitty.

Whittier suggests a Nixon and/or Quaker connection. I only know the latter because I live in Philadelphia, a city with a large Quaker population.

I was indeed referring to the Quaker poet (John Greenleaf Whittier) - and Nixon's alma mater was named after him as well. :)

I am aware that "Mrs. Miniver" is a film from the 1940s. I probably saw it as a child, and after this discussion I hope to watch it again soon. I would rather be sort of wrong, as opposed to using google to link Whitty to "Mrs. Miniver" not "The Lady Vanishes" a film I know well.

Isn't the point of playing word games to not use google?

Huh?

Archived