Enema Use: Health risks?

Bluray2
This topic is 3694 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It appears this study is saying don't use water to douche. You should use a non water based douche. Am I reading this correctly ? Seems like lots of guys use water. When I do prep I usually use the Fleet enema brand. I don't use it often but that is my clean out product of choice. That and watching what I eat a day or two before. I always wondered if the Fleet stuff was harmful.

Though I may not have understood the wording in this article completely, it seemed to address douching with water before receptive bareback anal sex as possibly leading intestinal injury from using water instead of an anti-bacterial douche and thus increasing the risk for HIV infection. The bareback sex would seem to be the most risky part of this activity. Since that is a “duh!” (stating the obvious) to me I wonder if I missed the purpose of the article completely. :confused:

Truhart1 :cool:

There doesn't seem to be a conclusion. Or I'm missing it.

You're right, MFLV. It's a pay article. Here are the first two free pages ...

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10508-013-0203-0/lookinside/000.png

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10508-013-0203-0/lookinside/001.png

Thanks Steven. Looks like a lot of reading ahead of me. Still trying to see which is the best method. As I said in an earlier post to this thread I go the Fleet route. But I think a lot of guys go the water route. I'm relatively new to this so I don't have the shower attachments and I figured the Fleet enemas do the trick. If I did this on a regular basis I might feel the need to find an alternative way but at this point Fleet works well

Then if the purpose of the abstract is to state the obvious: that water as a douche can damage the intestines and make the chance for HIV infection in receptive bareback anal sex higher, we are right back to the fact that only practicing safe sex is always best if you want to reduce the risk of HIV (or any STD) infection.

TruHart1 :cool:

From the abstract, I gather that they're looking into people who bareback and douche have a higher STI/HIV+. They're trying to tie douching with water/saline/soap to this because those things (water/saline/soap among other things) are drying agents and damage the epithelium (lining of the mucous membrane) by removing its natural moisture and flora.

In the discussion portion of the one Steven Draker posted, "For HIV-negative men, douching may result in rectal mucosal damage that may facilitate the entry of HIV or other pathogens. In the case of HIV-positive men, whether rectal douching may exacerbate viral shedding needs to be investigated. Given that respondents practice rectal douching as a hygiene measure prior to sex, and considering the frequency with which the behavior takes place, it is likely to be quite resistant to change, as has been reported to be the case among women who use vaginal douches. Furthermore, the association between douching and HIV-positive status that persists after controlling for number of URAI occasions highlights the need to pay attention to rectal douching as a possible contributing factor to HIV transmission."

Archived