Congrats to 2014 National Champs UConn Huskies!

whipped guy
This topic is 3707 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Starbuck
WOW!!! I would never have thought this possible a mere two weeks ago!!

And the "impossibility" of it only made it better. There's often a thrill in seeing the underdog triumph, and a bigger thrill if it's YOUR underdog. Tonight the UConn women make it another ALL CONNECTICUT year.

Congratulations indeed. Isn't this the second time it has happened for UConn in the last ten years, or was it longer?

I have a slight connection: my first cousin graduated from UConn.

They last did it in 2004. So it has been exactly ten years.

My connection... Eight years at UConn. Fortunately more than one degree!

Guest Starbuck
My connection... Eight years at UConn. Fortunately more than one degree!

Let me guess, WG ... first a BA, then a BDSM?

This probably dates me, but I remember a time when both UConn basketball teams -- men's and women's -- were dominant. They might not win the entire tournament, but their appearances in the Final Four were frequent. So this felt like old news to me.

Anyway, congrats to both teams. I'm sure all you UConn alums out there are basking in the reflected glory.

Let me guess, WG ... first a BA, then a BDSM?
Close! It actually was a BAD DSM... a Bad Doctorate of S&M. One needs to be BAD to be good in such a field. I graduated suma cum laude.

This probably dates me, but I remember a time when both UConn basketball teams -- men's and women's -- were dominant. They might not win the entire tournament, but their appearances in the Final Four were frequent. So this felt like old news to me.

Anyway, congrats to both teams. I'm sure all you UConn alums out there are basking in the reflected glory.

Talk about dating oneself, I actually go back to when the games could not even sell out the old Field House and student tickets were a buck twenty five! I'm not even sure if there was a women's team back then!!!

Close! It actually was a BAD DSM... a Bad Doctorate of S&M. One needs to be BAD to be good in such a field. I graduated suma cum laude.

Talk about dating oneself, I actually go back to when the games could not even sell out the old Field House and student tickets were a buck twenty five! I'm not even sure if there was a women's team back then!!!

Was this before you knew what a real whip was actually for? My goodness. Time really marches on!

Boston Bill

Was this before you knew what a real whip was actually for? My goodness. Time really marches on!

Boston Bill

I actually was fascinated as a child. Plus I went to parochial school where BDSM in its various forms was practiced on a daily basis... So long before my UConn days!

Well the school was established in 1881... I don't quite go back that far. Let's just say that I was there the final quarter of the last century.

I'd taken your last comment to mean that you'd graduated college before I did. Now it sounds like we might be contemporaries. The NCAA finals didn't impinge on my consciousness until around 1987, when I worked someplace with a rabid Syracuse fan (her father had season tickets) and a NCAA tournament pool. She was really pissed off when I momentarily took the lead in the pool, but her greater knowledge of the teams let her pull a win out in the end. Anyway, I could have sworn that UConn games were well-attended and they had a women's team by that time. Based on a quick look at Wikipedia (the team website was no help), it looks like women's basketball got its start in the 1982-83 season.

Anyone know -- has any other school besides UConn won the men's and women's NCAA tournament in the same year?

Archived