Possible solution to fake ads?

imrthr
This topic is 3717 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One forum recently sent an e-mail to members telling what it is doing to attempt to cut down on fake ads and fake profiles.

It would be nice if rentboy, rentmen and a few others would do the same as described in the e-mail I received. I had no idea that 2,000 fake profiles were filtered daily by the site that sent the e-mail.

Below is a copy of the e-mail I recently received, titled: "Fighting the fakers"

Fighting the fakers

Dear - - - - - ,

You may have noticed a recent increase in the number of fake profiles, so we wanted to let you know what we’re doing about it.

As well as tightening security, we’ve improved the way we detect fake profiles. These measures are helping filter up to 2,000 fake profiles every day. However, this is an ongoing challenge and there are no easy fixes.

We’re also aware that some countries are ‘centers’ for malicious Internet activity, and we’re sometimes asked why we don’t just block members from these locations.

At - - - - - - , we believe that all members of our gay, bisexual and transgender family should have the freedom to join our community. Restricting access based on location is simply not an option. We hope you support this view and appreciate your patience as we continue fighting the fakers!

In the meantime, if a profile looks suspicious please report it by clicking on the ‘Report this User’ link. The more reports we receive, the faster we can evaluate a profile’s authenticity and take action if needed.

Thank you,

T - - - - - - -

A bartender who in hopes of a greater tip serves a drunk and additional drink can be liable for the wrong doings of that drunk if any. A website that accepts a fee from a known faker has similar motivation: profit. But it's not the same moral equivalent and asking that website to forego income to provide an authentication service for us may be asking a bit too much. I think it is more reasonable to suggest to these websites that they warn their advertisers that there are number of informed (not to say influential) clients out there like us who will do due diligence on their ads and post the results. Stolen pix or photoshopped penises once disclosed will not bring additional income. IMHO of course.

Archived