Copying VHS to DVD

HardnThick
This topic is 3731 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’ve had a LiteOn LVC-9006 (converts VHS to DVD) sitting on the shelf for several years but I never used it until now. It’s supposed to be “one touch” recording/duplication. When I used the machine to dupe a VHS tape to DVD, my Blue Ray player couldn’t read the disc.

Does anyone know why? Or could it be that the 8-year old LVC-9006 just cannot make a DVD readable by new Blue Ray players (Samsung)?

I’m afraid my weekend project just fell into the too-hard category.

I’d sure appreciate your advice. Thanks!

I don't know if this helps at all, but make sure you finalize the DVD in LiteOn before taking it out. Without this step the DVD won't be readable by any other device.

Your DVD dub should also play in most computers so that might be another way to test it. If it doesn't then you are either doing something wrong or the burner might malfunction due to its age.

At that point you can maybe try one more DVD - run a test on a 5 min segment so that you're not wasting too much time.

Good luck!

Good suggestion to try playing the DVD on your computer. You might also try playing it on the LiteOn itself to see if it will play the DVD it created.

Since it's been on the shelf so long, it may need a cleaning with a lens cleaner.

Only other thought is that many commercial VHS tapes are copy-protected, but this shouldn't be an issue with tapes you made yourself.

As manTOman says, good luck!

Almost all DVDs will play on a computer but machines can be very tricky. I think it's a good assumption that the codecs for the Bluray player were created AFTER your copying machine and, therefore, the DVD-r's aren't going to play on that particular machine. I'd recommend getting a cheap ($50) Panasonic or Toshiba DVD player and I'd bet money it will play any disc you put in it.

Almost all DVDs will play on a computer but machines can be very tricky. I think it's a good assumption that the codecs for the Bluray player were created AFTER your copying machine and, therefore, the DVD-r's aren't going to play on that particular machine. I'd recommend getting a cheap ($50) Panasonic or Toshiba DVD player and I'd bet money it will play any disc you put in it.

But most Bluray players should be able to read non-Bluray DVDs, shouldn't they? So Im doubting his copier can make Blurays considering how old it is.

Gman

But most Bluray players should be able to read non-Bluray DVDs, shouldn't they?

"Should" is a lovely word, but it doesn't say much. :rolleyes:

Bluray machines can be finicky. Incredibly so.

One other thought: a can of compressed air can cure a million ills inside electronics. Give that old machine a good blow!

Archived