Rio - What caused this event at Clube 117?

imrthr
This topic is 3760 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Most travelers are familiar with Tripadvisor - Reviews from Tripadvisor are generally reliable and helpful.

I just saw on Tripadvisor, a review from a customer who claims that last November, he was mugged, beaten and robbed within the premises of Clube 117 and that no one came to his assistance. He also claimed that even after the owners saw his black eye and heard about his being robbed, he still was asked to pay his exit charges at the Clube.

The review can be found here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d2534733-Reviews-Club_117-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

Scroll down the Tripadvisor page and go to "“NO VAYAN” dated November of 2013 for the review.

Here is a basic translation of what he wrote:

"Would not recommend to anyone, yesterday was mugged and beaten within their facilities. If you value your safety and refrain money go as grim place. They stole everything I had, I left with a black eye for me resist the assault and threatened to do more if I reported anything. The innkeepers did not make the slightest act of defense and still demanded more pay."

Obviously, we are seeing only his side of reporting the incident. I am curious how accurate his report of the incident is.

This report is surprising to me. I have been to Clube 117 more times than I can remember (over a period in excess of ten years) and I have never heard of any incident like the above report nor have I ever seen anything similar at Clube 117.

Like I said, we have only the reviewer's side of the incident.

-

Nasty things happen at these places from time to time. Its rare but they do occur.

Years ago (at least 10 years and likely more), Clube 117 was the unfortunate target of an armed robbery during business hours by a number of thieves. The cash register and also customers had to hand over money and valuables....at least as the story was told to me. Similar thing happened at Lagoa in Sao Paulo even earlier than the Clube 117 robbery. In the Lagoa incident, the thieves waited till nearly the end of the night and entered as customers. There were very few other customers left in the place. I believe in this case, only the house was robbed since there were very few customers left.

I cannot speak to the veracity of the current Clube 117 problem that the customer had. It is possible it is untrue and the guy just has an axe to grind. On the other hand, sh** can happen.

Archived