Kung Fu At The SIgnature Theater

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3712 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From reading this NY Times article, there appears to be lots of testosterone in the new Bruce Lee play, Kung Fu, opening soon, and now in previews at $25, at the Signature Theater:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/theater/for-the-play-kung-fu-choreographing-combat.html?hpw&rref=arts

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/02/18/arts/jpkungfu4/jpkungfu4-articleLarge.jpg

I agree with Cash4Trash. The choreography is spectacular, but it isn't a very good play. And the testosterone level is there, but if you want to see shirtless guys, you won't. The Bruce Lee character is shirtless only in the last two minutes of the play. He wears a tank top a lot, and has great guns. I'm glad I went (for $25), but would hesitate to recommend "Kung Fu" to others. It's OK, but basically, isn't a good play at all.

I hadn't read any reviews when I saw this last weekend, and knew very little about Bruce Lee, just that he was a star of Kung-Fu movies and that he died young.

I went with two friends who also knew nothing of the show, or the principle character.

We all greatly enjoyed it.

Thought the dance and fight choreography stunning, and the little bits of connective tissue informative enough. I do think Hwang could do another draft and incorporate a little more information...but the themes of stereotyping in Hollywood are still so shocking...especially since they continue today.

The casting of one of the African American actors to play James Coburn in the play was a terrific thumb at the practice. (And the gentleman really had Coburn's voice and movement down.)

Yes, there could have been more development of the character of Bruce's wife. Yes, they could have delved a bit more into the years of making movies in Hong Kong. Yes, they could have tightened up the interaction between Bruce and his father's ghost. But this is part of what Signature does...gives a good venue, with a budget allowing a good production, to allow playwrights to work on projects. And for the first six weeks every ticket is $25.

I have a friend coming in at the end of March, and I'm taking him. And I paid $75 for those tickets. I don't feel cheated.

The young man playing Bruce, Cole Haribe, is quite amazing. This is his NY debut, and I hope he is recognized by the Theater World Awards.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband saw his show before I did and he absolutely loved. I went last Friday and really enjoyed it too. Hubby got a spare ticket o see it again and liked it even better the second time. It's not a great play, but the martial arts are worth seeing alone, especially as well-choreographed as they are. We both liked Cole Haribe as Bruce Lee.

The show has now been extended again.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe that this show closes in this weekend. I have an offer for discount tickets- the $25 ones are no longer available- so if you are interested, pm me. Tickets are $45 for Weekend performances,

Frankly, Thanks for the offer, very nice of you. I was disappointed that all week this play wasn't available at TKTS... I hope to see it before it closes...

Cooper, this is the closing weekend, so your chances to see it seem slim and none. I wonder why nobody promoted it early enough so that we could all get in on those $25 tickets? Next time a show like this comes along, I'll try to get the skinny and share it here with everyone so that no one misses out.

Archived