Oscar Nominated Movies

Cooper
This topic is 3771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

.... and the Oscar goes to???.... I've seen most of the Oscar nominated movies. After seeing "American Hustle" I thought that was the winner, then, I saw "Nebraska" and loved it even more, however, "12 Years a Slave" would be my pick... To all you movie goers, what's your pick?

86th Academy Awards: Best Picture nominees

March 2, 2014 — Host: Ellen DeGeneres

Best Picture

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

Nebraska

Philomena

12 Years a Slave

The Wolf of Wall Street

I guess I need to go to the movies more. Of those nominated (this is the first time I've seen the list) I've only seen Philomena and Wolf. The subjects of Captain Phillips and the Dallas Buyers Club didn't appeal to me, I deliberately stayed away from two films (see below) and I just haven't gotten around to the others. So the comments below are just on the two I have seen.

I thought Philomena was wonderful as a film -- that is, a good story, well told, good acting, good editing. But I thought the portrayal of the sisters was close to caricature, and the whole thing seemed like a piece of propaganda to me. It was based on a book by the journalist character in the film, and I imagine it was faithful to his vision. If it is close to the larger truth, then it is a shocking exposé of a terrible situation. Dench is terrific in it, and in my opinion, makes the film what it is. Her portrayal of a seemingly simple woman who is in fact the most moral person in the film, and a forgiving person as well, is subtle and moving.

I went to see Wolf of Wall Street because I love New York, know some people who have been in that line, think De Caprio is a fine actor, and frankly I wanted to see and hear the horrible excess of it all. I loved it. I don't think it is a great movie by any stretch, but it is terrific entertainment of its kind. I think its virtue is to be a wide panorama look at a period and phenomenon that ultimately has involved us all.

Interesting that both films are based on autobiographical books.

I have started out a couple of times to see Gravity, and chickened out. The trailers and the reviews made me, frankly, afraid. I did not want to get emotionally involved and see her die, no matter how spiritual or whatever the overlay on it was. So perhaps I'll never know. Likewise I have started out to see American Hustle a couple of times and turned back as well. I'm not sure why. I don't find that kind of sleaze (as opposed to financial sleaze of the Wolf of Wall Street variety) interesting or entertaining. I grew up in Las Vegas in the early 60's and saw enough of it to last a lifetime, and years leading an organization in NYC which had to deal with contractors and the city bureaucracy there only added to my distaste for low-level, self-serving, obscurantist and underhanded dealing. I am sure they are both fine films.

Now we get to wonder again what art is, as I tried to watch the movie Her but just couldn't get past 20 minutes. It's awful, in my opinion, but here some think it is Oscar worthy. Not me. Wolf of Wall Street is fun in its over the top look at stockbrokers, but I don't see it winning the Oscar.

I did like American Hustle and Philomena, and I loved Judi Dench. For me, Captain Philips only rose to greatness in its last 20 minutes. Dallas Buyers Club was notable most for the performance of Jared Leto, and perhaps Mathew McConaughey.

I skipped 12 Years A Slave as I had heard it was a very hard movie to watch, yet I gather the acing is stunning. Nebraska is the other movie I missed.

In sum, I am surprised at how many of the nominees I did see. My vote will go to Philomena, but I sure could understand if a movie I didn't see took the win.

Now we get to wonder again what art is, as I tried to watch the movie Her but just couldn't get past 20 minutes. It's awful, in my opinion, but here some think it is Oscar worthy. Not me.

I skipped 12 Years A Slave as I had heard it was a very hard movie to watch, yet I gather the acing is stunning. Nebraska is the other movie I missed.

Frankly Rich, Welcome to the Message Center. Your contributions in the Comedy/Tragedy Forum are most welcome. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

As for "12 Years A Slave", yes, there are parts that are hard to watch; the separation of families, beatings, whippings (with blood and skin flying), hangings, and the rape scenes are very graphic, however, as SF Westcoaster mentioned, everything about this movie is Oscar worthy. I found the story most compelling, the acting superb, the costumes perfectly depicting the time period, the setting for the cities and plantations to be done to perfection, and yes, best cinematography. There have been other movies produced portraying the cruelty of slavery and man's inhumanity to man but this one, based on the main character's diary, covered a more personal approach where you felt a connection (good or bad) with all the main characters. A very powerful movie.

As for "Nebraska", I really was touched by this wonderful story of a son's loyalty to his father in helping him carry out a dream. The mother in this movie is a real hoot... Any son who has cared for a father with early signs of dementia or alzheimer's will be able to relate to this. It's done in black and white and the drive through Nebraska is very scenic. Not sure everyone will enjoy this movie but I certainly did.

Frankly Rich, what didn't you like about "HER"? And why do you think it received an Oscar nomination?

I have started out a couple of times to see Gravity, and chickened out. The trailers and the reviews made me, frankly, afraid. I did not want to get emotionally involved and see her die, no matter how spiritual or whatever the overlay on it was. So perhaps I'll never know. Likewise I have started out to see American Hustle a couple of times and turned back as well. I'm not sure why. I don't find that kind of sleaze (as opposed to financial sleaze of the Wolf of Wall Street variety) interesting or entertaining. I grew up in Las Vegas in the early 60's and saw enough of it to last a lifetime, and years leading an organization in NYC which had to deal with contractors and the city bureaucracy there only added to my distaste for low-level, self-serving, obscurantist and underhanded dealing. I am sure they are both fine films.

BgMstr4u... Re: Gravity, "and see her die"? hmmm... Hate to give away a spoiler alert but I suggest you see the movie and find out. It's well done. I think Sandra Bullock might get that Oscar.

As for "American Hustle", I saw "Wolf of Wall St" prior to seeing AH. It's been reported that Wolf uses the F-word over 500 times and pussy more than I needed to hear. Wolf has excellent acting and both Leonardo (best actor) and Jonah Hill (best supporting actor) have a good chance of winning, however, the story depicts the worst of capitalism. And, equates the abuse of drugs and sex with success.... Soon after I saw "American Hustle". Also, excellent acting, lots of suspense, likeable cast, and a great twist at the end. Plus, they did this without the language, drugs, and sex that Wolf used. Definitely not "sleazy".

Cooper...Her gets off to a very slow start. The highlight, if you can call it that, during the 20 minutes I saw, is the phone sex with the woman who wants to be phone-choked with a dead animal. She reaches her climax and then hangs up as if they have been discussing grocery lists. It didn't turn me on, and that's when I gave up. Since then, I have spoken to two friends who saw it. One liked it immensely, the other just okay. The latter says I turned out at the moment when it began to get more interesting. The one who thought it was easily and by far the best movie of the year often sees things differently than I.

So I may try again, as even I agree that 20 minutes may not be a fair chance.

SF Westcoaster...thanks for elaborating on your feelings about 12 Years a Slave. I may still see it, and am prepared now for the harshness of it, at least as much as one can be from just hearing about it.

P.S.: Cooper, thanks for the welcome. It's the first I've received.

I've seen a majority of them, but there are some on the list I mean to get to... Philomena, for example. Of the ones I've seen, 12 Years A Slave was the strongest dramatically and technically. For re-creation of a time and place and very dramatic, realistic acting, it is the best I've seen this year. And it is an "important" filme, and now and then the academy wants to honor an "important" film that brings us truths about ourselves. I was also thrilled with Brad Pitt's little bit part toward the end.

... I have started out to see American Hustle a couple of times and turned back as well. I'm not sure why. I don't find that kind of sleaze (as opposed to financial sleaze of the Wolf of Wall Street variety) interesting or entertaining. I grew up in Las Vegas in the early 60's and saw enough of it to last a lifetime, and years leading an organization in NYC which had to deal with contractors and the city bureaucracy there only added to my distaste for low-level, self-serving, obscurantist and underhanded dealing. I am sure they are both fine films.

We saw "American Hustle" at the cinema last night and had a great time. Judging by the giggling and the reaction of the audience, I think I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it. If you haven't seen it yet, you should really consider it.

Would

convince you?

Archived