Peter and the Starcatcher in Los Angeles....

jackhammer91406
This topic is 3746 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I looked to see if there was a thread already started for this show but couldn't find one. Peter and the Starcatcher is playing a limited engagement at the Ahmanson Theater here in Los Angeles. Run, don't walk, or even fly if you can to see this show. Some have written that this show does for PETER PAN what Wicked did for WIZARD OF OZ. I would say that is just a bit of what this show does.

I have been having conversations with friends and family the last few months about how kids today are so engrossed in their ipods, smart phones and so on, that they don't play anymore...like outside. God I sound like an old person (and I am but always said I would never say stuff like an old person). Anyway when I was a kid, a couple of long sticks, a garbage can lid and and old scarf and we could be knights of King Arthur. Whatever was at hand, and our imagination could take us wherever we needed to go.

To me, this is the brilliance and beauty of Peter and the Starcatcher. The play (with musical interludes) establishes the characters we have come to know and love, but does it in the fashion of a StoryTime Theater production. Using a hank of rope for a ship rail, a yellow rubber glove for a flapping bird, A string of white triangular banner flags as giant crocodile teeth, the cast of 12 take on hundreds of roles and they P L A Y and tell their story in a pace that leaves you almost breathless.

[video=youtube;ptoFeyjxfhw]

Much of the dialogue and action is so funny, you can't help but laugh over the next line and my guess is that I will need to see it again to hear all of the funny jokes I missed.

What is most magical about this production both in design, writing, and performance is how it slyly forces the audience to fill in the blanks from their own imagination, so from the very first we are part of the merry band.

Anyone who saw it on Broadway saw Christian Borle playing the Black Stasche (Capt Hook) (and winning a Tony). This touring company's Black Stasche played by John Sanders is every bit as Tony Worthy in my opinion. When his hand is cut off, the riff he does with three little words "OH MY GOD" goes on for 3 or 4 minutes and just when you think he can't possibly wring another laugh out of this bit, he winds up and flits off in a new direction. So very funny, I was amazed they could get a jaded old has been performer like me so involved.

The show won Tony's for Scenic design, costume design, sound design, lighting design as well as Christian Borle (Sound of Music LIVE and SMASH)

This production has captured star dust and anyone who gets to watch them do it, leaves the theater younger and more alive.

jackhammer, There was a thread on "Peter and the Starcatcher" when it ran on Broadway. Foxy started it, Cooper and I commented. But, our focus was mainly Christian Borle, so a new thread is welcome. It appears that the "Peter" holds up well with another actor in the lead role, if anything it may even be better. For some reason, I have never seen anything at the Ahmanson Theater, hope to the next time I am in LA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived