10 Percent Of Men On Grindr Have Never Been Tested For HIV/AIDS, Report Finds

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I said in my earlier post- starting treatment early is not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like physicians are just deciding on their own to start earlier treatment. Earlier treatment is what the newer recommendations are advising.Gman

Oh, I definitely agree that it is better to start treatment early. The known benefits far outweigh the known risks, particularly for otherwise healthy men. I was just acknowledging my agreement that JoeyBryant's point that early treatment isn't right for everyone.

My main issue with the immediate treatment is that it is often done without a more holistic review of a patient's readiness to begin such a regimented treatment. Doctors tend to focus on the physical aspects of health and ignore the psychological aspects (though that's really due to time constraints that are placed on them, not poor doctoring). Receiving a diagnosis is a life-altering event for most men, and the stigma of having HIV compounds the psychological stress. As with all major medical diagnoses, some people respond with denial. Sometimes men will go through the motions of what they are instructed to do while they initially process the information, but rather than make peace with it, they just wind up rejecting the whole thing and stop complying with their treatment. And HIV meds are something you can't just stop taking without serious consequences, such as the loss of efficacy of that drug.

There needs to be serious conversations with newly diagnosed men to determine whether he'll be able to commit to a highly regimented medical treatment. Some men aren't psychologically prepared to commit to treatment or don't have the support structure they need to be successful in their commitment. Ignoring the mental health of the newly diagnosed could lead to those who are not really prepared to begin treatment being placed on meds and then failing to adhere to it. They then reap none of the benefits of early treatment and the worst risk of treatment, resistance.

That said, I think early detection and early treatment are extremely important and among our most valuable tools in the struggle to end new HIV infections. And most men, particularly those who live in major cities or places with strong LGBT communities, are successful with early treatment and are healthier for it. But we can do more to help make sure that we don't set up our more vulnerable brethren for failure.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Receiving a diagnosis is a life-altering event for most men, and the stigma of having HIV compounds the psychological stress. As with all major medical diagnoses, some people respond with denial.

http://i.minus.com/iXocoo2vxHjyH.gif

I'm sorry, ever since Steven posted the thread awhile back about Oprah's Swiss experience, I've just been amused by her reactions...it fits so well in these threads!

• 1 year later...

LOS ANGLES (CBSLA.com) — A new billboard has lots of folks in Los Angeles buzzing about sex, safe sex, online hookups and apps.

The AIDS Healthcare Foundation is taking the popular online dating apps Tinder and Grindr to task — suggesting their users are more susceptible to STD’s like chlamydia and gonorrhea.

One of the billboard’s is strategically placed. KCAL9’s Jennifer Kastner said the billboard is a few blocks from Tinder’s Beverly Boulevard headquarters.

Tinder could hardly miss the sign. The billboards are also accusing the sites of promoting a hook up culture.

LOS ANGLES (CBSLA.com) — A new billboard has lots of folks in Los Angeles buzzing about sex, safe sex, online hookups and apps.

The AIDS Healthcare Foundation is taking the popular online dating apps Tinder and Grindr to task — suggesting their users are more susceptible to STD’s like chlamydia and gonorrhea.

One of the billboard’s is strategically placed. KCAL9’s Jennifer Kastner said the billboard is a few blocks from Tinder’s Beverly Boulevard headquarters.

Tinder could hardly miss the sign. The billboards are also accusing the sites of promoting a hook up culture.

billboard.jpeg

Archived