Buyer and Cellar

uwsman2
This topic is 1476 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm going to see this off-Broadway show today, starring gay dreamboat actor Michael Urie. (He was to-die-for in the stage revival of Angels in America a few years ago, and I've seen him in a few other things.) One man show. He plays the ("fictional") manager of the shopping mall that Barbra Streisand maintains in the cellar of her mansion. Should be fun. I'll report back.

That's exactly my reaction. It is a fun show, and Urie is great in it. Actually, I felt it was like spending 90 minutes in the company of a truly sweet, adorable guy - who is, on top of that, openly gay, which is quite a bonus.

• 6 months later...

The show has been recast, with the understudy to Michael Urie losing out to Christopher J. Hanke, best known for playing Bud Frump in How To Succeed in Business in 2010. He starts on March 18th. Clancy O'Connor, the understudy, received good notices for his performance and will continue as the understudy. Urie, on the other hand, isn't leaving the show, just getting it ready to go on the road, with performances set in Los Angeles and Chicago.

So Buyer and Cellar, a one-man show, is also now a one hanky show!

(NY Times was a source of material for this post.)

I saw the play with Michael Urie and he was terrific. At the end of the show there was a collection for Broadway Cares. Urie brought his understudy up on stage and they had a little interaction. The guy whose name I don't remember but am guessing may be taking over was really cute and seemed charming. When I was leaving the theater he was holding the collection basket and I told him how much I loved his performance and we both laughed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't seen this, go in the next two weeks. Michael Urie will be taking it to Chicago and then LA...

You definitely want to see it with him.

Not that Chris Hanke won't be good, he probably will be...but Urie is AMAZING!!!

Interesting that Hanke's last big NY role was as the villainous Bud Frump in the Daniel Radcliffe How to Succeed in Business...and he was replaced by....

Michael Urie.

• 6 years later...