"Edith Bunker" has died at the age of 90

operalover21
This topic is 4017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Jean Stapleton, the iconic star of one of the funniest sitcoms of all time "All in the Family", died yesterday at the age of 90 at her NYC home. She won 3 Emmys for the role. She was a well respected stage actress before and created roles in such legendary Broadway musicals as "Damn Yankees" and "Bells are Ringing." She sang "You Gotta Have Heart" in Damn Yankees in both the stage and film versions. She was a very respected, beloved figure in the theater community. Rest in Peace, "dingbat."

Not only was she and incredibly talented actress she was an incredibly nice, kind and gracious lady. For many years I helped judge at the Southern California High School Drama Festival. if Jean Stapleton was in town she ALWAYS volunteered to judge. I was fortunate to share lunch with her on several occasions. The joy of those luncheons will live with me forever.

She lived not far from me and I'd occasionally see her and have a nice chat. She was one of the most gracious and loveliest of ladies. She was such the polar opposite of her Edith characters: she was very intelligent and interested in so many different things. She really kept up with the opera scene and had worked -- in the 1940s -- with choral master Robert Shaw. She really was a unique and multi-faceted person. She is really going to be missed.

Guest verymarried

I'm impressed not only with the words here about Jean Stapleton's character but also about this message board's posters, some of whose lives even crossed the late great actress's paths. It seems to me as mostly an observer, that the tone of this board has shifted to one which is friendlier and one whose posters live interesting and productive lives.

She lived not far from me and I'd occasionally see her and have a nice chat. She was one of the most gracious and loveliest of ladies. She was such the polar opposite of her Edith characters: she was very intelligent and interested in so many different things. She really kept up with the opera scene and had worked -- in the 1940s -- with choral master Robert Shaw. She really was a unique and multi-faceted person. She is really going to be missed.

Composer Lee Hoiby even wrote her a short classical performance piece, called "Bon Appetit," based on actual episodes of the Julia Child TV show, where the singer (originally Stapleton, as Julia Child) goes through the process of preparing, baking, and serving an elaborate chocolate cake - all in 20 minutes of music.

In one episode of "All In The Family," Gloria gets into a huge fight with Edith, calling her a "nothing." By the end of the episode, she apologizes, saying that her mother is "really something." Edith then turns flirtingly to Archie and asks if he thinks that she's "something" - and Archie says, "Edith, you are something else!" I think that goes for Ms. Stapleton as well. :)

(Though, perhaps my favorite outrageous Edith moment was the famed "cling peaches" story, where she explains in her inimitable way how a can of cling peaches - in heavy syrup - flew out of her shopping bag and dented someone's car. "It was a freak accident," she adds. I'm laughing just from recalling this as I type...) :D

Just shortly after she finished her run as Edith she did a TV movie (and I don't think it's been seen since) called something like "Eleanor: First Lady of the World" in which she portrayed Eleanor Roosevelt after the WH years. It was terrific and she gave a wonderful performance. She was nominated for an Emmy but lost to Ingrid Bergman (who had just died) in "A Woman Called Golda." I went to the Emmys that year and it was a memorable experience. Oh, those were the days when the TV networks made quality movies like that. It was a very serious role -- something after Edith that she didn't always get the chance to do. She -- and the equally great Carroll O'Connor -- will never be forgotten.

Archived