New "Liberace" bio Premiers Tonight HBO

bcohen7719
This topic is 4021 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An early Liberace video. To me, this is Liberace camp at its best.

[video=youtube;XitCa2hPvcU]

I don't know that other than his piano technique-which was his trademark-that I find it particularly "camp" if you define camp as being overly showy and funny because of it's over the top exaggeration. I find it very sweet and nostalgia inducing. I realize that the time period of the 1950's was not perfect and that many suffered discrimination--gays, minorities, etc. But nostalgia doesn't have to conform to facts--it's a gut feeling.

Gman

I'm no film critic, and I know he is highly thought of, but I usually don't "get" Soderbergh. I just watched another of his movies called Side Effects with a truly all star cast and a potentially intriguing story line. I felt that the director (Soderbergh) somehow missed the boat on the film, but maybe it was my problem. I am glad he seems to have pulled off the Liberace piece. Now if i can just figure out how to watch it without HBO.

I got to torrentz.eu and type in the movie title and you'll find a ton of options for viewing the movie.

That should have said "go to torrentz.eu."

One of the things that I had forgotten -- but was quickly reminded of when shown in the film -- was the way in which Liberace's body and cause of death was pursued by the Coroner. What a jerk. Liberace's doctor had indicated the cause of death as "heart failure" -- which was technically accurate -- and the coroner refused to accept the death certificate and took the body and ran his own autopsy and then had a big press conference in which he stated that he died of AIDS -- which also wasn't technically accurate. You don't "die of AIDS." AIDS is an underlying cause of death not a primary one. I wonder why the Coroner went after Liberace in this way? It seemed so petty and wrong. Did he not like his "lifestyle" or did he have some other animus towards Liberace? It was really gross what that jerk did.

One of the things that I had forgotten -- but was quickly reminded of when shown in the film -- was the way in which Liberace's body and cause of death was pursued by the Coroner. What a jerk. Liberace's doctor had indicated the cause of death as "heart failure" -- which was technically accurate -- and the coroner refused to accept the death certificate and took the body and ran his own autopsy and then had a big press conference in which he stated that he died of AIDS -- which also wasn't technically accurate. You don't "die of AIDS." AIDS is an underlying cause of death not a primary one. I wonder why the Coroner went after Liberace in this way? It seemed so petty and wrong. Did he not like his "lifestyle" or did he have some other animus towards Liberace? It was really gross what that jerk did.

I saw a documentary on this. My take is that he was an anonymous guy hoping to get famous from the episode.

I liked the movie. Certainly not the best I've seen but some very good performances. I think that Matt Damon is very effective as someone who desperately needs to be loved but at the same time realizes that he is only going to be taken care of in exchange for sex. I loved Rob Lowe as a doctor who uses what his profession has to offer a little too much. Sort of a very tan Joan Rivers. He can barely turn his head or close his eyes. Lowe does a great job subtly turning his body because he no longer can turn his face to focus on something.

Archived