Rentmen Hijack?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 4035 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I pulled up Rentmen's homepage this morning and then clicked on the signin option. The result was not a signin screen but thirty seconds or so of a spinning blue circle followed by some sort of webpage in Asian writing. That is, I think, a highjack. How do I figure out what happened and how do I prevent it in the future?

Thanks.

There is nothing you can do about this sort of hijack unless you own and/or control the servers at rentmen.com.

What you CAN do is make sure your virus/malware protection on your PC is current and the virus definitions are up to date. (It's a little late to do this AFTER the fact, but practice safe HEX!) Most malware suites include protections against the kind of crapware this sort of hijack spreads.

Here's the rub, though: most malware protection suites offer some variant on "safe browsing" but it slows down browsing overall because they pre-scan every link you click before letting the browser go there and most of them will have sites like rentmen.com on a "questionable" list to begin with. It's a balancing act.

The other possibility is that some crapware has redirected your DNS resolution, which is the mechanism the computer uses to translate numeric IP adddresses to human-readable things like rentmen.com. If this problem is happening only with rentmen.com, it's unlikely a DNS problem on your side. It would affect everything.

Mike from RentMen writing - I was forwarded thread's link - RentMen.com has not been hacked and is safe to enter.

We have no other members reporting any corrupt files or 'hijack' of their profiles, we have checked our server logs and no one has gotten past our firewalls and if they were able to without our detection no one has entered any new files or text on the servers, to the site and its programming. We employ the most up to date firewalls, virus protection and scans, and premium level automatic server monitoring so we would have records of the 'traces' a hacker would leave.

I have reached out to Doe Be Doe privately to review his RentMen profile and its programming so we can isolate the problem he has experienced.

Warm regards,

Michael (Trevordog)

RentMen.com

Archived