The World's Funniest Joke

Gar1eth
This topic is 4084 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A bit of background 1st

The "world's funniest joke" is a term used by Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire in 2002 to summarize one of the results of his research. For his experiment, named LaughLab, he created a website where people could rate and submit jokes.[1] Purposes of the research included discovering the joke that had the widest appeal and understanding among different cultures, demographics and countries.

So here it is- the world's funniest joke- by the Irish comedian Spike Milligan-

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of

them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing

and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out

his phone and calls the emergency services. He

gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The

operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a

gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

Gman

Has anyone ever translated the German "World's Funniest Joke" from the Monty Python skit? A friend in college who spoke a tiny bit of german said he couldn't translate the whole thing but what he could didn't make sense. Something along the lines of it started out as a riddle, "When is...", and the answer line started "Yes!"

I once sent in a quip that I made up to Reader's Digest for Laughter The Best Medicine. Actually I sent it in twice. Once on their website and never heard back. And about a year later, I think I might have actually mailed it. I didn't think a lot about it over the next year or so. Then one day I was going through a pile of mail. And I saw what I thought was the usual kind of junk mail you receive from Readers' Digest wanting me to buy one of their books or other sponsored merchandise. So I tore the envelope in half without opening it first. On inspection after tearing it in half, I see that it wasn't a solicitation, but a check for $150 dollars for using my little quip. So I had to call them up and ask them to reissue the check:)

And now I know you all are waiting to hear ( read) my quip. Ok but let me advise you to preemptively place your hand over your mouth, so you don't embarrass yourself by the loud guffaw that escapes from you involuntarily after reading it. And again I must stress that I made this up- it was totally original. So here goes...

Wait for it...

Almost there...

And here it is...

'What did the scientist say to his cranky clone? Why can't you be a reasonable facsimile?'

Please no thanks. Your loud guffaws are quite enough. It's my one claim to fame of being a published author!!:confused:

Gman

Archived