Showtime Movie Reminder

SmallTownJohn
This topic is 7636 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Howdy,

Just wanted to remind everyone that the tale of slain Fort Campbell soldier Barry Winchell & Nashville transgender drag performer Calpernia Addams will debut May 31st on Showtime. Jane Fonda's son plays Winchell & an unknown is playing Calpernia Addams. Their story made headlines because Winchell was murdered in his barracks with a Louisville Slugger while he slept by two other soldiers because they suspected he was gay and hung out in Nashville bars during his off time. It was a very heavy time in Nashville. The writer of "Philadelphia" wrote the screenplay for the film. I hope it's done well.

Thanks,

John

http://www.SmallTownJohn1.com

Thanks John for the info. I was unaware that a movie had been made about the Ft Campbell murder. Since I am in the area often I have a special interest in the story and also hope it is done well.

Last week I read were Winchell's mother had gotten some members of Congress to hold up the promotion of the General that was Commander at Ft Campbell during Winchell's murder.

Thanks for the heads up about the movie on Saturday John. You will be in the "Big Easy" that Saturday and I'm sure you and your partner will be having some fun. And also have a very "Happy Birthday" and I'll see you next Sunday and I'll help blow out that candle of yours<EG>! }(

Showtime Movie: Soldier's Girl

I thought they did a good job with the Movie by centering the Story around Winchell's relationship. Then tying the Don't ask Don't Tell and the Hate Crime issues into the story.

Hope it makes a few people think,but won't hold my breath.

Did anyone else watch the Movie?

Thanks again John for the heads up on the Movie. I don't watch much TV so I probably would have missed it.

Guest Kenny021

RE: Showtime Movie: Soldier's Girl

I also watched the movie and have to agree with the others....very well done and not sensationalized. I was especially impressed with the leads (Jane Fonda's son) and the guy who played the female...very sensetive performance. They did a good job of showing the mentality of the "soldiers" and how the sargeant was actually searching for the "gay guy" in the group. My only wish was that they should have shown some of the brouhaha that followed the murder but that is my only complaint. Very fine production.

Guest alanm

Wonderful movie, especially the acting by Lee Pace as the transgendered nightclub performer. Also, the script was unusual in that it focused on the love story, with the army action in the backgroung, which made the murder all the more dramatic.

"Soldier's Girl" will be on Showtime June 3 (8 PM), 22 (8 PM),

30 (11 PM).

All this on the same night SNL repeated the great show with Ashton Kutcher is his tight white briefs leaving little to the imagination.

I imagine SNL must have responded to 100s of request to repeat the

Kutcher show, it was on just a month ago for the first time.

I'll have to catch it for sure. I saw Capernia perform maybe two or three times at the Connection. No one ever had a bad word to say about him/her unlike most of the backstabbing you hear among divas and their groupies. Capernia was supposedly an army medic, classically trained in violin and a member of MENSA. I still remember the talk around Nashville right after Winchell was murdered. It was wild.

John

http://www.SmallTownJohn1.com

I missed the beginning, but I was impressed with the movie. Naturally, it was depressing, since it made you care about Winchell and Calpernia before Winchell was killed.

I grew up in that area and I still often visit near there so it especially hit home for me as well.

The story does go into Calpernia's background as a veteran.

The Television critic for the newspaper here gave the movie an excellent review and said the the actor

(Lee Pace) that played Calpernia, desrves an Emmy.

Note: that the murder scene is very graphic and was actually hard for me to watch.

• 1 month later...

Replays

I saw this movie on showtime today for the first time. I was so stunned by the story, acting and performances, that I watched it a second time tonight. I was not really aware of the original incident when it happened and was shocked at the end when it became apparent that it was based on a true story. I was even more disturbed by that, that something like this could happen. Yes I know , these kinds of things have been happening for a long time.

I guess lately, with my feeling more open about my orientation, it just hits home more.

Troy Garity who plays Barry is stunning to watch. His acting and his physical presence, it's hard to turn away from the screen. Lee Pace does a great job in the role of Calpernia. I am told that when the movie first aired, there was a mini-documentary with some of the actual people involved. I would have liked to have seen that as well. Perhaps they will release it on DVD.

Guest Bitchboy

RE: Replays

I finally got to see it as well. This could have been a disaster in the wrong hands. The script, the acting, the message were first-rate and should win lots of awards come Emmy time. Showtime did itself proud and made up for the awful QAF season.

Archived