Rutgers Basketball Mess-The Gay Angle

Gar1eth
This topic is 4087 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Another company in my industry has contacted me and asked whether I would be interested in making a career change. Until the Rutger's incident, I wasn't worried about whether or not my employer included GBLT as part of its diversity policy or its benefits plan covered domestic partners. For some reason, the homophobic language used by Rice in this incident has suddenly made this an area of primary concern for me.

Another company in my industry has contacted me and asked whether I would be interested in making a career change. Until the Rutger's incident, I wasn't worried about whether or not my employer included GBLT as part of its diversity policy or its benefits plan covered domestic partners. For some reason, the homophobic language used by Rice in this incident has suddenly made this an area of primary concern for me.

Sadly though many company's publicly have a zero policy of tolerance, privately and among the powers-that-be, prejudice in this area is rampant. I just finished a year long law suit with my company over sexual harassment. They ended up writing me a very substantial check.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2004/347/1198_110294771787.jpg

Abuse of underlings is not limited to basketball (although remembering Bobby Knight choking players and throwing chairs, basketball is pretty good)

Are the posters here concerned with the gay name calling, or with player abuse?

If it is just abuse of underlings, this is not limited to sports,

Try Arturo Toscanini abusing his players 1943

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2004/347/1198_110294771787.jpg

Abuse of underlings is not limited to basketball (although remembering Bobby Knight choking players and throwing chairs, basketball is pretty good)

If it is just abuse of underlings, this is not limited to sports,

Try Arturo Toscanini abusing his players 1943

There was an old movie of the week with Vanessa Redgrave playing a Jewish musician during WW2 named Fania Fenelon in a concentration camp. I think the movie was called 'Playing for Time- The Fania Fenelon Story'. The Nazis forced these women to play in an orchestra as propaganda that they were treating the prisoners humanely. Jane Alexander I believe was the conductor. And whoever she played her father was a conductor too. Jane was a real bitch in the movie. When something would go wrong, she would strike the members of the orchestra. Fania rebels against her and says all the musicians hate her. Jane gets emotional and says something about her father used to strike players and something about they either respected or always loved him. I just looked it up. The movie came out when I was 19. For some reason that scene has stuck in my head for 33 years.

Gman

I personally feel that both are equally bad. Abuse either verbally or physically is unacceptable.

If it is just abuse of underlings, this is not limited to sports

Unfortunately it is rampant in industry as well.

You would probably have to fire every head coach in every position nation wide for this. Any one who has played sports to this level has been subject to intense pressure from their coach. Mike Rice is not the only coach calling his players names and getting physical. Mr. Murdock didn't like that he was not renewed and went to the press with this film that he knew would be damaging to everyone involved.

You would probably have to fire every head coach in every position nation wide for this. Any one who has played sports to this level has been subject to intense pressure from their coach. Mike Rice is not the only coach calling his players names and getting physical.

I'm sure he's not, but I'm also sure that not every head coach in the nation went as far as he did.

And those that did should also be fired.

Mr. Murdock didn't like that he was not renewed and went to the press with this film that he knew would be damaging to everyone involved.

Perhaps, but not relevant.

Interesting quote from https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sports/ncaabasketball/rutgers-officials-long-knew-of-coach-mike-rices-actions.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0:

“These improper actions,” the report added, “constitute grossly demeaning behavior directed at players, and occasionally at coaches, that do not appear necessary to build a high quality basketball program or to build a winning Division I basketball team.”

The implication is that grossly demeaning behavior might be OK if the team wins.

Neither is handsome and both should be stoned in the public square. I have ZERO tolerance for their kind of abuse.

Neither appeals to me in the "looks department." Their actions are reprehensible indeed, but "public stoning" DOES NOT rectify their horrific actions of

verbal and physical abuse! Their being fired is one great action; now, what other actions should be taken against both of these men?

Neither appeals to me in the "looks department." Their actions are reprehensible indeed, but "public stoning" DOES NOT rectify their horrific actions of

verbal and physical abuse! Their being fired is one great action; now, what other actions should be taken against both of these men?

I'm more concerned about the long-term effects on the men they abused. Will those guys think it's OK to use physical and verbal violence? That the only way to teach is to inflict pain?

Archived