Cirque du Soliel- Varekai Review

bigjake8
This topic is 7668 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just saw "Varekai". It is a bit a a departure from previous Cirque Shows in that it has a more defined story line. The story is about a bunch of forest urchins that have their world chnged one day when Icarus falls from the sky. Something sort of along the lines of "The Gods Must Be Crazy". The acts are woven into the story in traditional Cirque fashion. The story, lighting and theme are considerably lighter than the darker shows of Quidam and Alegria. Its much more in the vein of La Nouba. While the characters in the previous shows seemed much mroe otherworldly, Varekais characters seem very much of this earth, but perhaps from a land long ago (before we started mowing down our forests).

For those of you who watched "The Fire Within", you neednt worry about the show being ruined for you. There are plenty of surprises. The only thing that impacted was that the performers were too accesable, beacuse I had seen them on TV, gotten to know their shortcomings a little too much (not to mention I see them all at my gym on a daily basis now, which sucks, becasue you really dont want to recognize them as real people).

Every act was outstanding. The two highlights were the flying twins, and the cane balancer. The Clown act was replaced by a very clever idea that I will not divulge here. Lets just say that part of waht makes it so great is that Cirque has aged to the point where they are able to nod and wink at themselves (think Disneys Aladdin).

Its one of my favorite shows now. I left excited about living. The show is out on Randells Island in New York until the middle of July. Take the NY Waterway ferry, its a really fun trip.

I saw the show a year ago in Philadelphia and thought the twins were amazing. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately didn't catch much of the TV coverage on Bravo, so they are still otherwordly to me. Thought this one better than Dralion, but I think "O" is still my favorite.

Archived