Kinky Boots on Broadway

Cooper
This topic is 4087 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw Kinky Boots in previews... Book by Harvey Fierstein and music/lyrics by Cyndi Lauper...Just sit back and enjoy this fun and lively musical, it's good entertainment... Simple plot, "Charlie Price", played by the very handsome Stark Sands, inherits his father's failing shoe business. In order for the business to survive, he teams up with a drag queen named "Lola", played by the very talented Billy Porter. Together they produce a new line of shoes called "Kinky boots".

There's a litany of musical numbers, most are forgettable but nicely sung with high energy. The dance numbers are well choreographed and earn their applauds. The lively and creative dancing performed by the drag queens, called "Angels", keep this show alive... In addition, there's a lesson in "acceptance" being taught which materializes during the very funny and energetic finale.

http://d3rm69wky8vagu.cloudfront.net/photos/large/5.179528.jpg

Show link: http://www.kinkybootsthemusical.com/?gclid=CJ6d57jN_7UCFdFT4Aod4T8AIA

Coop

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Cooper. Who doesn't love a stage full of drag queens? A fun and entertaining musical! A real crowd pleaser. The audience roared with approval after the closing number. The four queens behind me couldn't have been happier! Great cast. Cyndi Lauper's music is great. The second act number "Hold Me In Your Heart' comes close to being a show stopper (and reeks of Whitney Houston, including hair and gown...LOL)!

Opens tonight...

Saw Kinky Boots in previews... Book by Harvey Fierstein and music/lyrics by Cyndi Lauper...Just sit back and enjoy this fun and lively musical, it's good entertainment... Simple plot, "Charlie Price", played by the very handsome Stark Sands, inherits his father's failing shoe business. In order for the business to survive, he teams up with a drag queen named "Lola", played by the very talented Billy Porter. Together they produce a new line of shoes called "Kinky boots".

There's a litany of musical numbers, most are forgettable but nicely sung with high energy. The dance numbers are well choreographed and earn their applauds. The lively and creative dancing performed by the drag queens, called "Angels", keep this show alive... In addition, there's a lesson in "acceptance" being taught which materializes during the very funny and energetic finale.

http://d3rm69wky8vagu.cloudfront.net/photos/large/5.179528.jpg

Show link: http://www.kinkybootsthemusical.com/?gclid=CJ6d57jN_7UCFdFT4Aod4T8AIA

Coop

Sands is cute. Does he go shirtless?

Ed, Glad you enjoyed "Kinky Boots"... In some ways similar to "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". Instead of a bus, this time it's a shoe factory.

Sorry operalover, this show won't qualify for "the latest shirtless moment on Broadway"... however, cute Stark Sands does provide some spice during the final number when he models those kinky boots.

Seeing It Next Wed

I was going to ask if anyone has seen "Kinky Boots." I've heard nothing but raves, and when my friend in her 80s said she liked it, well...... Glad to hear that you liked it, too.

I've seen the movie on cable almost a dozen times. I'm really curious to see and hear how it is transferred to the stage

Saw it this weekend. Enjoyed it, but IMO while there are similarities to Priscilla as has been mentioned it doesn't come close to having the same level of production, costumes or choreography. On the other hand it does have new music, and the Cyndi Lauper influence is very apparent and enjoyable. I thought first act was better than second.

Archived