Nigerian Counterfeit Check Scammers are now targeting Daddy's Reviews

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4132 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You'd think after 6 years someone like Engineer Martin would be smart enough to find someone with decent writing skills to help him out.

Perhaps it's because the poor writing will weed out all but the most gullible of victims. When there are so many victims out there, why bother with the less gullible ones?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps it's because the poor writing will weed out all but the most gullible of victims. When there are so many victims out there, why bother with the less gullible ones?

A correct use of "less"....yay! I get so tired of hearing various on the air saying, "in 30 minutes or less" when they mean, 30 minutes or fewer. Just one of my little pet peeves. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

A correct use of "less"....yay! I get so tired of hearing various on the air saying, "in 30 minutes or less" when they mean, 30 minutes or fewer. Just one of my little pet peeves. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

According to this, oxforddictionaries.com/words/less-or-fewer,

'Less' is used with expressions of time. So in my minds saying '30 minutes or less' seems ok.

Now a pet peeve of mine is the pronunciation of 'nuclear' = nu-cle-ar. It's not 'noo-q-ler.

Gman

According to this, oxforddictionaries.com/words/less-or-fewer,

'Less' is used with expressions of time. So in my minds saying '30 minutes or less' seems ok.

Read that page you cited again. Less time would be appropriate, but not less minutes. Minutes are individual units which can be counted, and thus fewer minutes is correct whereas less minutes is not. It's analogous to less money but fewer dollars.

I get so tired of hearing various on the air saying, "in 30 minutes or less" when they mean, 30 minutes or fewer.

That doesn't bother me as much, in that I think the word time is implied. In thirty minutes or less (time). In thirty or less minutes would definitely be incorrect.

Kevin Slater

So, can we agree that the supermarket lines labeled "9 items or less" are only for uneducated people, and the rest of us have to stand in the longer lines because we have fewer than 9 items? :(

Indeed. I feel so inferior to our resident grammar czars. Poor uneducated me. ;):D

Archived