Smash

deej
This topic is 4143 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched it a few days ago and it is great. Jennifer Hudson is simply a star. She literally shines. Some of the old characters are gone: Dev, Ellis, Frank and Leo, and Michael. The story seems to be refocused on the "bringing a show to broadway" aspect. Hopefully the new show runner (Joshua Safran from Gossip Girl) will keep a lot of that soap opera stuff that away this year. The review I saw earlier in the week from the San Francisco Chronicle looks great.

http://www.sfgate.com/tv/article/Smash-review-Back-in-tune-with-Broadway-4240154.php

Jeremy Jordan and Kyle Bishop looks like interesting additions. I'm hoping that the Karen-Jeremy thing doesn't get too melodramatic. But the song at the end of the first hour I have fallen in love with. "Broadway Here I Come". And Jeremy Jordan nails it perfectly. The strength of the show for me has always been the music, especially the new songs from Marc Shaiman and Randy Wittman. I've got a couple from last season planned for karaoke in PS in a few weeks.

The show almost did jump the shark last year, especially with that ridiculous Bollywood number (no matter how well done it was). It's always been its best focused on the broadway aspect. Hopefully it can stay focused on that.

Thanks for the reminder deej. Tuesday night at 9 is already blocked off this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One of the things I liked most was the opening "Moving on" number -- clearly a Shaiman/Whitman number.

I'm looking forward to this a little too much. We know the show gets a JFK (and an actor to play him, and songs to go along with it), and various other things. We also know that Ellis will be back, if only in flashbacks.

BRING IT! :cool:

Several weeks ago, I participated in a study where I watched 6 promos for season 2 of Smash and told them what I liked about each of them. The good thing was that I got to see a LOT of what's coming up in season 2. Tons of guest stars this year and some really, really great music. I'm highly looking forward to it!

I still have last seasons final show in my DVR and watch the closing Marilyn song "Bombshell (Don't Forget Me)" at least once every few weeks.... something about that number makes me soar! New season scheduled to record. And yes Deej - I also look forward to it a little TOO much ;-)

I still have last seasons final show in my DVR and watch the closing Marilyn song "Bombshell (Don't Forget Me)" at least once every few weeks.... something about that number makes me soar! New season scheduled to record. And yes Deej - I also look forward to it a little TOO much ;-)

I have the karaoke of Don't Forget Me and have done it once. So many good songs to choose from. I have also done Second Hand White Baby Grand, Never Give All The Heart, On Lexington & 52, Let's Be Bad, and Crazy Dreams. I have the karaoke version but haven't done A Thousand and One Nights and Run. The show is a treasure trove for karaoke singers. I'll probably do Second Hand White Baby Grand and Never Give All the Heart at karaoke (my two favorites) in PS. The last number in tomorrow night's first hour, "Broadway Here I Come" is a great song, but a bit out of my range. Jeremy Jordan nails it. I can't wait for tomorrow.

I have been watching Season One on DVD, and liking the show more. It certainly had many problems, but I like the songs the more I hear them. The DVDs do not have any commentary, at least not yet. But, some of the deleted material is very good. For example, Bernadette Peters sang "Everything's Coming Up Roses" on the show. They cut "Rose's Turn," likely because it is too long. I am not a huge Peters fan, but even Ethel Merman would have liked this "Rose's Turn" in the deleted scene.

Actually, the last three episodes -- taken as a suite -- are really good. You can almost hear the engine revving up at the beginning and it just keeps mounting all the way through those three episodes. The rest of the series had its moments but had a lot of dreck. Those last three episodes finally hit their stride.

I have been watching Season One on DVD, and liking the show more. It certainly had many problems,

The good news is that, in the vernacular, there's a new creative team. Or at least a new show-runner. Stories vary. Theresa Rebeck says the network meddled too much. The network said she was a poopy head. Whatever. What we see in the first hour bodes well for season two.

For anyone who sees this before the premiere in 2 hours 40 minutes (but who's counting), in case you haven't heard the full version that is on the ad for the season. I have been completely taken with this song. Jennifer Hudson is simply amazing. I just hope that someone comes out with a karaoke before PS so I can do it there. This would be great there, and I'd have 6 weeks to work it into my voice. An old school, major power ballad. Simply breathtaking.

[video=youtube;SQ5jUBlXfgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5jUBlXfgA

Archived