Boy Scouts considering retreat from no-gays policy

oceansunshine
This topic is 4118 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Another sign of progress for Scouts:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/boy-scouts-considering-retreat-from-no-gays-policy-unit-sponsors-could-set-membership-rules/2013/01/28/391249e6-697d-11e2-9a0b-db931670f35d_print.html

In the late 1950's and early 60's I was a cub scout and enjoyed the activities. I stopped supporting the Scouts fund raising reach-outs to me as an adult because of the national scouting org's homophobic stance. Maybe soon, they will welcome my support? Time will tell......

From CNN today:

"The Boy Scouts of America has decided to delay its vote on a proposal to allow local troops to decide whether to allow openly gay members and leaders. The organization said it needs more time to get input from its members. The vote will now be held in May. 'After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Executive Board concluded that due to the complexity of this issue, the organization needs time for a more deliberate review of its membership policy,' the Scouts said in a statement. Until a vote is taken, it appears the organization will continue its ban on gay Scouts and Scout leaders."

From CNN today:

"The Boy Scouts of America has decided to delay its vote on a proposal to allow local troops to decide whether to allow openly gay members and leaders. The organization said it needs more time to get input from its members. The vote will now be held in May. 'After careful consideration and extensive dialogue within the Scouting family, along with comments from those outside the organization, the volunteer officers of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Executive Board concluded that due to the complexity of this issue, the organization needs time for a more deliberate review of its membership policy,' the Scouts said in a statement. Until a vote is taken, it appears the organization will continue its ban on gay Scouts and Scout leaders."

They must be following the example we keep seeing from Congress. These chicken scraps were just voting to allow local chapter supports to voluntarily eliminate discrimination if my understanding is correct. Is that right? If so, not really leadership or taking the right path is it? I hope if that's the only step they take people, prior and potential donors keep the heat on them.

It's high time they end their bigotry, but it's a shame the only reason they will reverse the despicable policy is due to the loss of corporate sponsors (i.e., cold, hard cash).

First thing I thought. Makes me wonder though if their just looking for a way out to show to show them (sponsors) that their not a bunch of bigots. It's those local chapters. Not us. It's a win/win for them.

Archived