VIDEO: High School Senior Comes Out...Gets Standing Ovation From Classmates

JackTwist
This topic is 4134 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Three cheers...but I'm just getting old I guess...I'll never understand why it's so important to tell the world who I prefer to sleep with....HATE is WRONG...period...end of story....look in the mirror EVERY time you "hate" a muslim,woman, Republican,jew,catholic,etc.....better yet..read some of the attacks HERE!!!!

Three cheers...but I'm just getting old I guess...I'll never understand why it's so important to tell the world who I prefer to sleep with....HATE is WRONG...period...end of story....look in the mirror EVERY time you "hate" a muslim,woman, Republican,jew,catholic,etc.....better yet..read some of the attacks HERE!!!!

I think it's easier to hate or at least talk hate about an anonymous group than it is about people we know and like, and who are *mostly 'just like us'. Coming out like this gives people concrete examples of gays - as opposed to stereotypes, which are easier to despise.

There's an old quote (I can't find the source), along of the lines of "I hate all men - except jack, and Dave, and Sam and..."

I'll never understand why it's so important to tell the world who I prefer to sleep with....

Your sexuality has nothing to do with whom you sleep. One can be celibate and still be gay or straight or whatever. It's who you are, not what you do. And it is important because it gives strength and courage to all the others who need it. And it shows the world that we exist in every shape and form and race and economic class...not just as a TV stereotype or joke. Progress for our civil rights is made easier every time someone comes out and some homophobe realizes, "Hey, I work with (or am related to or know) a gay person and I like him/her!" So yes, it's important.

Fantastic. I watched this late last night on Yahoo and was stunned. Good for him and good for the class that cheered!

I have one question. This was the headline on Yahoo:

"Student comes out as LGBT"

I had never heard that one before. The student also uses that term in his speech. Is that the new lingo? We used to come out as GAY or LESBIAN ... are we now coming out as a whole alphabet soup? Just asking. I just hadn't heard someone coming out with that term.

Brave guy to do it that way and great to see the vid. On the down side also shown how few people can actually remain quiet enough to hear what is being said - also a sign of the times at concerts and theatre guess its the t.v. short attention span.

I noticed that as well, and I am not sure why it bothered me so much. I have come to expect that lack of attention so many in attendance will often give a performer, or someone attempting to make a statement. I thought that once he started it would go silent, but it never did...sad in a lot of respects.

And it is important because it gives strength and courage to all the others who need it. And it shows the world that we exist in every shape and form and race and economic class...not just as a TV stereotype or joke. Progress for our civil rights is made easier every time someone comes out and some homophobe realizes, "Hey, I work with (or am related to or know) a gay person and I like him/her!" So yes, it's important.

VERY well said Mr. Munroe. Bravo!

This is wonderful. When Lance Black returned to his high school alma mata after he had received the Oscar for his screenwriting of MILK, he donated $1000.00 to the Gay Straight Alliance {GSA} club. Recently, I was at the same school from which I retired. While I was in search of the proper room in which to obtain my lunch, two males were organizing cups of hot chocolate to sell; I asked them for their club name; both eagerly said, and with bright smiles, that they represented the GSA club. I asked what club is that because it did not immediately register; they told me with apparent pride.

Yes, things are changing and definitely for the better! Young students who are gay seem comfortable and relatively free to be themselves and to live.

I support and applaud all of the positive comments which were relayed in this particular post!

Your sexuality has nothing to do with whom you sleep. One can be celibate and still be gay or straight or whatever. It's who you are, not what you do. And it is important because it gives strength and courage to all the others who need it. And it shows the world that we exist in every shape and form and race and economic class...not just as a TV stereotype or joke. Progress for our civil rights is made easier every time someone comes out and some homophobe realizes, "Hey, I work with (or am related to or know) a gay person and I like him/her!" So yes, it's important.

I not only agree Rick, but I like the way that you articulated it.

I'm a single dad and have two teenage sons. We live in a fairly conservative area of suburban Chicago. I can tell you that kids their age in this town do not care about sexual orientation at all (in my experience). Even the over zealous, extreme-fringe-religious, pro-assault-rifle nutty winger kids who go to school with my boys do not hate homosexuals. Last year, the student body president was an intelligent, popular, openly gay student. I'm not implying there still aren't homophobes at their school, but they are far out-numbered and much less vocal these days.

Goodfella

Archived