My Kind Of Christmas Decorations

Cash4Trash
This topic is 4186 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Check this house out. She lost her husband recently and it's kind of memorial. I think it's neat.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/massive-christmas-light-display-draws-crowds-annoys-neighbors-194409780.html

This is excellent! I love the story. What is "too much, too bright and too loud" for some is just amazing for others.

Long vive la différence ! :)

The curmudgeonly part of me can't resist pointing out that there are a few miles between Phoenix and the ocean

and many people would consider it to be more part of "The Southwest".

I grew up in Albuquerque, and back then (50's and 60's) the custom was to put small candles in paper bags

weighted with sand around the sidewalks and sometimes on the roof, which I think were called "Luminarias".

(lighting the way for the Christ-child to come visit).

Is this done in Phoenix (or even ABQ) anymore?

Happy holidays in any case :)

[and for the record *all* of my best ancestors are Jewish]

The curmudgeonly part of me can't resist pointing out that there are a few miles between Phoenix and the ocean

and many people would consider it to be more part of "The Southwest".

I grew up in Albuquerque, and back then (50's and 60's) the custom was to put small candles in paper bags

weighted with sand around the sidewalks and sometimes on the roof, which I think were called "Luminarias".

(lighting the way for the Christ-child to come visit).

Is this done in Phoenix (or even ABQ) anymore?

Happy holidays in any case :)

[and for the record *all* of my best ancestors are Jewish]

Yes, Honcho, luminaria are alive and well, in of all places, a nice middle-class, probably Waspish, probably Democratic neighborhood in good old used-to-be-staid Grand Rapids. Blocks and blocks of them, all perfectly aligned, on both sides of the street. Magical, especially coming back from church late at night on Christmas Eve.

Archived