Is there a correlation between penis size and unprotected sex?

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4180 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Study: The larger a gay man’s penis is, the more likely they are to have unprotected sex

by James Park

19 December 2012

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/images/2012/12/peniscondom.jpg

An academic study of the correlation between penis size and condom usage among gay and bisexual men to be published in full next year has found that the larger a man’s penis, the less likely they are to use a condom.

The study, ‘Self-reported penis size and experiences with condoms among gay and bisexual men’ will be published in the February 2013 issue of Archives of Sexual Behavior.

It used data collected from men who have sex with men by Hunter College’s Center for HIV Educational Studies and Training (CHEST) at large scale community events in New York.

The findings suggest that the distribution of ‘one-size fits all’ condoms on the gay scene may well be counterproductive. The findings showed that:-

Close to half of men reported condom slippage during sex

Almost one third reported condom breakage in the past three months

Some men said they had unprotected sex because they couldn’t find condoms that fit

A minority, 40% did report that they didn’t have a problem finding condoms to suit their penis length or girth

Dr Jeffrey Parsons, CHEST’s director, said: “This type of public health research is very important, no matter how politically volatile. Studies like this allow us to better understand sexual health and risk so that we can address effectively the health needs of gay and bisexual men.”

Christian Grov, one the reports authors and associate professor of health sciences at the City University of New York said: :These findings indicate that the fit of a condom matters,. client at an HIV service agency might see a bowl filled with ‘standard’ condoms and have to ask a provider if they have other sizes available. That extra step could make the difference between someone leaving with a condom—the right condom—or going home empty handed.”

Although there are now a number of ‘extra-large’ sized condoms on the market, Professor Grov said that they are not readily available on the scene or from health centres for free. Despite this, NYC’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said it has increased the variety of condoms being distributed.

In the UK, most gay clubs and bars distribute free condoms, primarily funded by local NHS (National Health Services) Foundation Trusts. However, in almost all cases, there is only one size available.

source: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/12/19/study-the-larger-a-gay-mans-penis-is-the-more-likely-they-are-to-have-unprotected-sex/

I'm wondering at what extend this is true or just an excuse ... Anyone in the know please chime in.[/color]

Any condom will fit. It's rubber after all. However, it's a pain in the ass trying to get one on that's too small for you as most of them are to someone bigger. The best size is one that allows a tiny amount of movement to get that pleasurable friction sensation. I find the magnum XL's best when it comes to this.

Guest countryboywny

So I guess the reverse is true, the smaller a man's penis is, the more likely he is to have protected sex. Since I always use protection when having sex, what does that say about my penis?? OMG, did I just say that?? LOL LOL LOL

Mr. James Park needs an editor, Title should be: "The larger a gay man's penis is, the more likely he is to have unprotected sex."

Apologies for those who find grammarians a pain in the ass.

I thought this too - sort of made me skeptical of the whole article and how scientific and scholarly the study was.

No apology necessary, Samai, at least to me - I'm with you on this one.

Thanks, Steven, for the original post.

Any condom will fit. It's rubber after all. However, it's a pain in the ass trying to get one on that's too small for you as most of them are to someone bigger. The best size is one that allows a tiny amount of movement to get that pleasurable friction sensation. I find the magnum XL's best when it comes to this.

In my experience, I've found that many larger-endowed tops will complain about the discomfort (particularly those who are blessed more with girth, as opposed to just length). Although for some it might seem like an excuse, I've observed that at times, it's not BS, as I can see how tight the condom is, pressing into the flesh and even sometimes deforming the shape on some of the thicker guys. Besides discomfort and/or pain, it can also cause them to lose the erection, and the frustration makes it more likely that they'll just engage in BB sex.

Part of the problem is also that larger sized condoms tend to be more expensive, which might explain why they're not offered en masse like the regular-seized one. Although some people will BS their way into avoiding condom usage, other people are of the kind who will do something only if its is minimally annoying, and even a very minor increase in their convenience will lead them to go the extra mile and "do the right thing", so-to-speak. The issue is definitely worth exploring.

In my experience, I've found that many larger-endowed tops will complain about the discomfort (particularly those who are blessed more with girth, as opposed to just length). Although for some it might seem like an excuse, I've observed that at times, it's not BS, as I can see how tight the condom is, pressing into the flesh and even sometimes deforming the shape on some of the thicker guys. Besides discomfort and/or pain, it can also cause them to lose the erection, and the frustration makes it more likely that they'll just engage in BB sex.

Part of the problem is also that larger sized condoms tend to be more expensive, which might explain why they're not offered en masse like the regular-seized one. Although some people will BS their way into avoiding condom usage, other people are of the kind who will do something only if its is minimally annoying, and even a very minor increase in their convenience will lead them to go the extra mile and "do the right thing", so-to-speak. The issue is definitely worth exploring.

so being too 'tight' and too 'expensive' are the excuses you hear now for not using condoms? fifteen minutes of pleasure for a possible lifetime of meds. great trade off

doing the right thing is easy when you're playing with your life or someone elses. there's no excuse great enough to convince me these folks who bb are sound, smart people

I didn't sense that Strafe13 was advocating for condomless sex, but merely pointing out from a practical point of view what the well-endowed guys have to cope with.

Free condoms handed out in gay clubs and venues come in one size. Probably something can be made in that regard to have regular and extra-large size condoms available.

I know some big guys who routinely need to bring their own XL condoms, because the free regular sized condoms wouldn't fit.

I didn't sense that Strafe13 was advocating for condomless sex, but merely pointing out from a practical point of view what the well-endowed guys have to cope with.

Free condoms handed out in gay clubs and venues come in one size. Probably something can be made in that regard to have regular and extra-large size condoms available.

I know some big guys who routinely need to bring their own XL condoms, because the free regular sized condoms wouldn't fit.[/color]

knee jerk reaction on my part. sorry if it came across as too pointed at strafe. not my intent

it's a black and white issue to me about bare backing. if you do, you're at risk and there's no excuse great enough to make it the right thing to do. it's so easy to get bigger condoms now, even websites that offer custom condoms for guys who are large or small. spend the money, save the risk

Guest countryboywny

One of my favorite things is to go to the drug store, pick up a small pack of Magnum XL's, wink at the cashier as I pay for them , leave the store and throw the condoms away! :D

Archived