E.T

zeyfur
This topic is 4164 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was watching ET last night and was struck by the emotional core in the Sci-fi film and how the director did not allow the special effects to take over the film. Even after so many years, the film appears fresh and not dated. Any other E.T fans here ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was watching ET last night and was struck by the emotional core in the Sci-fi film and how the director did not allow the special effects to take over the film. Even after so many years, the film appears fresh and not dated. Any other E.T fans here ?

I saw the film earlier this year in its 30th anniversary edition (hard to believe!) and I tend to agree with you that it holds up pretty well which you can't say about a lot of Spielberg films. I don't like that they air-brushed the guns out of the film to be politically correct. I don't really like messing with art.

It's still a pretty beautiful film.

Guest countryboywny

I'm definitely an E.T. fan. I love a good heart-warming story that lets me forget all the nastiness that goes on in this world.

I saw the film earlier this year in its 30th anniversary edition (hard to believe!) and I tend to agree with you that it holds up pretty well which you can't say about a lot of Spielberg films. I don't like that they air-brushed the guns out of the film to be politically correct. I don't really like messing with art.

It's still a pretty beautiful film.

Does your post mean you are completely OK with Little Black Sambo or the original Tom Sawyer? Just curious. Both have been attacked by those with a "serious" PC bent.

Best regards,

KMEM

Does your post mean you are completely OK with Little Black Sambo or the original Tom Sawyer? Just curious. Both have been attacked by those with a "serious" PC bent.

Best regards,

KMEM

I don't get the comparison or the point. In newer editions of E.T., Spielberg removed the guns held by the police officers and replaced them with walkie-talkies. I thought that was stupid.

I don't get the comparison or the point. In newer editions of E.T., Spielberg removed the guns held by the police officers and replaced them with walkie-talkies. I thought that was stupid.

Some who thought that removing LBS from a library or changing the dialogue in TS was merely or mostly PC. I was merely asking if you agreed or not. All were contravening the intent and current attitudes/social agendum of the authors.

Best regards,

KMEM

I am the exception with this film, it never appealed to me as a kid and it still doesn't now, I have seen bits of it but never all the way through. I've never seen Avatar either, they just don't interest me. The back to the future nonsense didn't strike a chord with me either lol

Me too. Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars, etc.

Some who thought that removing LBS from a library or changing the dialogue in TS was merely or mostly PC. I was merely asking if you agreed or not. All were contravening the intent and current attitudes/social agendum of the authors.

Best regards,

KMEM

I've never read Little Black Sambo and I don't know anything about it. Removing books from bookshelves is not something I'm in favor of. However, it would be far worse to remove the so-called "offending words" and then putting the book back on the shelf than removing them all together which is the analogy that would work vis a vis E.T. It would be like putting a stuck tongue on the Mona Lisa and re-hanging it.

Great movie. Loved it then and now...

Elliot: [tearfully, while looking down at E.T.'s plastic-covered corpse] "I'll believe in you all my life, everyday. E.T... I love you."

The film shows it is possible to have an emotional core in a sci-fi film without overloading it with CGI .

Boring. No aliens, plus you have to endure Richard Dreyfuss for 2 hours. I'd rather lick a woman's hoo-ha.

(eyeroll)

Richard Dreyfuss is an excellent actor. "Poseidon" excluded.

And there are plenty of aliens in CEot3K, I take it you have you not seen the movie? It has several of the most iconic alien/human interaction scenes ever created.

Perhaps you should look with care for the shape of a square, Barry.

(eyeroll)

Richard Dreyfuss is an excellent actor. "Poseidon" excluded.

And there are plenty of aliens in CEot3K, I take it you have you not seen the movie? It has several of the most iconic alien/human interaction scenes ever created.

Perhaps you should look with care for the shape of a square, Barry.

I've seen all 3 editions, twice. The alien scenes last around 4 minutes. 2 hours of wandering in the desert. Blech. Totally overrated film. Richard Dreyfuss makes my list of the top 10 worst actors of all time. He makes Troy Donahue look like Olivier.

I've seen all 3 editions, twice. The alien scenes last around 4 minutes. 2 hours of wandering in the desert. Blech. Totally overrated film. Richard Dreyfuss makes my list of the top 10 worst actors of all time. He makes Troy Donahue look like Olivier.

That's what I thought—you haven't seen the movie.

Archived