'Picnic' Revival

WilliamM
This topic is 4144 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First preview last night. From the reports on chat sites, people like it, but are just so-so on Sabastian Sand, although everyone is impressed that he seldom has a shirt on and, as one person said, "He 'serviceable' in the role William Holden played in the film.

Looking forward to seeing the 'Picnic' review this coming Friday.

First preview last night. From the reports on chat sites, people like it, but are just so-so on Sabastian Sand, although everyone is impressed that he seldom has a shirt on and, as one person said, "He 'serviceable' in the role William Holden played in the film.

I think you mean Sebastian Stan who has a recurring role on ABC's Once Upon a Time (good first season, unwatchable in its second) and recently played the troubled gay son on the terrific mini-series Political Animals. If he looks anything like he did in the cult film THE COVENANT -- which is a gay man's wet dream filled with hunky guys in speedos -- I suspect he'll pull in the crowds. Anyway, I'm sure he looks better with his shirt off than did Ralph Meeker (!) who originated the role in 1953, I think it was.

Inge's play is a bit creaky, probably was a bit creaky in the 1950s. Needs some really charasmatic stars to pull it off. Maggie Grace? I can't see it.

WilliamM, I thought you were seeing Picnic last night. Instead you review Glengarry!

Sebastian Stan's "Picnic"

I saw an early preview of the revival of William Inge's "Picnic" this weekend. I do not remember much about the film, which starred William Holden (Hal) and Kim Novak (Madge), except that Holden was too old for his role. That's not a problem with the revival. Sebastian Stan and Maggie Grace who play Hal and Madge are both in their 20s.

It's the day of the Labor Day picnic in the Midwest 1950s, a big end of summer event in a small town. The play opens with Sebastian Stan doing hired yard work for Helen Potts (Ellen Burstyn). Very soon Burstyn offers to wash Stan's dirty shirt. Stan seldom wears a shirt during the rest of act one (or act two for that matter). He's in town, down on his luck, hoping to reconnect with a rich ex-frat brother who is dating the most beautiful girl in town (Grace).

Stan certainly comes through as a very sexy hard-luck stranger. He dominates most of the play in a role that Inge must have enjoyed writing. The problem is that Stan's role is almost unplayable in any depth. Hal just can not keep him mouth shut, detailing all the bad luck he has encountered in his life. Stan is charming, but his character is one-note...a 1950s hunk who screws up at every turn. And as soon as Sebastion Stan and Maggie Grace meet, you know that things are not going to end well.

Ellen Burstyn is wonderful in a small role, as are Mare Wimmimgham and several other actors and actresses.

"Picnic" shows its age over and over, even understanding it's a period piece. So is it worth the price of a ticket to watch Sebastian Stan for a little over two hours? He does keep his tight jeans on, but just barely. My answer is yes, if you can get a center orchestra seat at half price.

I don't always guess well on what is going to be a hit, but I did figure that in an otherwise down season, people might be happy to see Picnic. So I bought a ticket at roughly 30% off, when it is now obvious that it will be at TKTS. And the seat isn't really that good either if looking at Stan is the best thing.

I saw an early preview of the revival of William Inge's "Picnic" this weekend. I do not remember much about the film, which starred William Holden (Hal) and Kim Novak (Madge), except that Holden was too old for his role. That's not a problem with the revival. Sebastian Stan and Maggie Grace who play Hal and Madge are both in their 20s.

It's the day of the Labor Day picnic in the Midwest 1950s, a big end of summer event in a small town. The play opens with Sebastian Stan doing hired yard work for Helen Potts (Ellen Burstyn). Very soon Burstyn offers to wash Stan's dirty shirt. Stan seldom wears a shirt during the rest of act one (or act two for that matter). He's in town, down on his luck, hoping to reconnect with a rich ex-frat brother who is dating the most beautiful girl in town (Grace).

Stan certainly comes through as a very sexy hard-luck stranger. He dominates most of the play in a role that Inge must have enjoyed writing. The problem is that Stan's role is almost unplayable in any depth. Hal just can not keep him mouth shut, detailing all the bad luck he has encountered in his life. Stan is charming, but his character is one-note...a 1950s hunk who screws up at every turn. And as soon as Sebastion Stan and Maggie Grace meet, you know that things are not going to end well.

Ellen Burstyn is wonderful in a small role, as are Mare Wimmimgham and several other actors and actresses.

"Picnic" shows its age over and over, even understanding it's a period piece. So is it worth the price of a ticket to watch Sebastian Stan for a little over two hours? He does keep his tight jeans on, but just barely. My answer is yes, if you can get a center orchestra seat at half price.

Sebastian Stan is almost 31 years old; Holden was 36 when the film was filmed. Not much difference.

Sebastian Stan is listed on Internet sites as either 29 or 30. His birthday is in August, so it's a stretch to write that's he is almost either 30 or 31. His college friend, Marge's boyfriend, is played by Ben Rappaport who is age 26.

Kim Novak was in her early 20s when the film was made in the mid-1950s...much too young for her college boyfriend, Cliff Robertson.

There's a lot wrong with the casting of this 'Picnic,' but Sebastian Stan's age is one of the few things they got right.

Happy New Year, Operalover. All the very best for 2013.

Sebastian Stan's official biography lists his birthdate as August 13, 1982 which means he's in his 31st year. He's definitely not in his 20s.

Holden was slightly older when the movie was made. One might wish for a slightly younger man but I think one can argue that he pulls it off.

Sebastian Stan's official biography lists his birthdate as August 13, 1982 which means he's in his 31st year. He's definitely not in his 20s.

Holden was slightly older when the movie was made. One might wish for a slightly younger man but I think one can argue that he pulls it off.

Here's a clip of Kim Novak and William Holden in 'Picnic.'

I have always thought that William Holden looks more like Kim Novak's uncle, than her hot stud boyfriend. If anything, Holden looks older than I remember him. (As he does in a very famous 'I Love Lucy' in Hollywood episode filmed around the same time.)

I am taking this further than I normally would because Kim Novak only made a few movies where she really came across well on screen, Vertigo, Picnic, Middle of the Night, (and arguably) The Man with The Golden Arm and Bell, Book and Candle. Even with Holden, Picnic is a wonderful film. I would argue it was would have been better with a younger actor. Holden is too old to be a college classmate of Novak's just out of college boyfriend.

It is true that Kim Novak co starred with older men in the other movies I mentioned above. But, the difference in age was less of a problem because it was part of the story. In Picnic, you are suppossed to believe their initial meeting is 'love at first sight' in the full sense of the meaning of that term. In looking at the wonderful clip, I am always watching Novak, not Holden.

I will agree that the film is vastly superior to the current Roundabout revival.

• 1 month later...

Just saw "Picnic" this afternoon. As previously noted, it is dated, but I really enjoyed Ellen Burstyn's performance, looking at Sebastian Stan and imagining what her life would have been like if she had been able to follow her heart when she was younger. I had a discount ticket (30%) with a front row seat. IMHO just gazing at the ridiculously beautiful torso of Sebastian Stan, just a few feet away, was worth the price of admission for me. The play closes on Feb. 24.

Archived