For those in L.A., what the Little tokyo area like...??

carlos45
This topic is 4224 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've not lived in Los Angeles in many years and I'm considering moving back.

Having lived in LA continuously for more decades than I care to think about, I find it a tough question, since I know nothing about you. That would depend entirely on who you are as a person, how you view that part of the city and all the pluses and minuses that go with living in that area. Is there more crime, yes. Is there more congestion/traffic/pollution, yes. I would live there? No, but that is not to say that of thousands of people do and rather enjoy the excitement, the vibe, and the culture in the area. Housing is traditionally lower, and travel and commuting to the downtown area and other parts of the city via what little 'rapid transit' we have is fairly easy. There is great food and shopping within arms reach. So yes there are many many thing that make that area attractive to people. It's not for me, but it may very well suit your needs perfectly. Sorry I was not of more help, but without knowing you, hearing my opinion would be one that is very biased, since despite everything LA has to offer, I have one foot out the door, so I am not sure my opinions are what is needed here....good luck.

I've lived in San Francisco since 1995.

If you have not visited LA in recent years, you will find it greatly changed. It is far more congested, the population more densely compacted, the vibe of the 80's gone, and a sense of tense uneasiness that is hard to explain. Years ago I gave up and moved to the "Burbs", and now that to has gotten to be more than I am willing to deal with. That being said, it sounds like you have lived in some very interesting and diverse areas of the city. Boyle Heights and Pasadena are/can be superbly wonderful given the right mind set. Now...LOL why anyone would want to leave SF for LA is a little hard for me to comprehend, however as you know, LA does offer weather the is second to none in the nation, a vibrant economy, many many job opportunities with a extremely diverse economic base. Not sure why you are coming, but if it is for work, you will find the core of the economy including housing in a state of rapid recovery.

I'm finding it hard to connect with other middle aged, out, Latinos that have adapted to gay culture.

I simply don't understand this comment. First of all, why can you not connect? Are you yourself not out as a gay person? I am a bit in the dark here. If your desire is to find some connection within the Hispanic gay community, then I would encourage you to seek out those areas of the city to live where that is more possible. Quality of life wise, there are areas just outside of the pretentious WEHO area, say heading toward Hollywood that might suit you. Wherever you go, you will find the Hispanic population greatly increased in LA. I can't imagine you not feeling at home all most anywhere you decided to live.

I do wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide...and for the record we are in the 80's here and in t-shirts and short pants. The top is down on the car and has been since August.....and that ain't so bad.

@bigvalboy: I've been out for 25 years now, as a matter of fact, I went to my first gay bar in Pasadena (so, I'm a Rose Queen). I take the entire gay community with a grain of salt. When I was in my early twenties, I didn't feel accepted by the Mexican community, so I embraced the GLBT community. As I get closer to 50, I do want to settle down a bit. I still get a kick of all things GLBT, although I don't go out very much anymore. I'd love to have someone as out as I am and tries to stay positive to share my life with. It seems difficult here in San Francisco, most guys Latino guys I meet are coupled and many of the single guys I've met aren't very positive. P.S. I very much appreciate your input....Thank you!

I've been out for 25 years now, I went to my first gay bar in Pasadena (so, I'm a Rose Queen). I take the entire gay community with a grain of salt. When I was in my early twenties, I didn't feel accepted by the Mexican community, so I embraced the GLBT community. As I get closer to 50, I do want to settle down a bit. I still get a kick of all things GLBT, although I don't go out very much anymore. I'd love to have someone as out as I am and tries to stay positive to share my life with. It seems difficult here in San Francisco,

OK now I am getting a better idea of who you are and what you are about. Love Pasadena. Spent my fair share of time in South Pas...I do understand quite well what you are talking about. Most of them are very cliquish and for reasons I don't understand are very pretentious. I to connect more with the gay community as a whole. While you are leaving SF (I get that now) for LA, I am leaving LA for Fort Lauderdale. Many draw backs I know, but I so need a change.

You might look into Los Feliz, Altadena, or any of those areas just North of Downtown that skirt the city itself and border the Silver Lake area. Great area Silver Lake by the way, as is Larchmont Village. Might want to think about that. Many of those areas are very eclectic and still retain a wonderful sense of neighborhood. Depending on your price point, all have properties that have a wide variety of prices to meet almost anyones needs, from pricey to those properties that offer a lot of bang for your buck.....again I have enjoyed connecting with you and wish you ALL the best.

@bigvalboy: I've been out for 25 years now, as a matter of fact, I went to my first gay bar in Pasadena (so, I'm a Rose Queen). I take the entire gay community with a grain of salt. When I was in my early twenties, I didn't feel accepted by the Mexican community, so I embraced the GLBT community. As I get closer to 50, I do want to settle down a bit. I still get a kick of all things GLBT, although I don't go out very much anymore. I'd love to have someone as out as I am and tries to stay positive to share my life with. It seems difficult here in San Francisco, most guys Latino guys I meet are coupled and many of the single guys I've met aren't very positive. P.S. I very much appreciate your input....Thank you!

I think you should look inside yourself before making a move. I felt like I needed to leave San Diego a few years ago. In my case, it was the size of the city in comparison to what I was accustomed to (Chicago) and my perception that the gay community is more negative and closed off here than there. At the end of the day, my unhappiness had little to do with the city or the gay community and a lot to do with myself. In my case, I embraced the reasons I moved here in the first place: milder climate, less congestion, cleaner air, milder climate, more laid-back atmosphere, milder climate, and the list goes on. I also embraced the LGBT community center, where I now volunteer, and appreciated the fact that it is one of the largest of its kind in the country. (Admittedly, it appears to be more active than those in LA and SF, but that is just my perception based on hours of operation, programming, etc.).

Ask yourself how you plan to make life better for yourself in LA and apply that to your life in SF. See if your situation improves. You might even want to take an extended trip to LA and do as a resident would do: drive around, go grocery shopping, locate the dry cleaners, etc.

Hope that helps.

Archived