Nice Work If You Can Get It

skynyc
This topic is 4111 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A quick note to let folks know that if they haven't seen this because of the mixed reviews, etc., NOW is the time to go. Matthew Broderick is on vacation, and Will Chase (Joe DiMaggio on SMASH) has replaced him for this week. The chemistry between him and Kelli O'Hara is terrific and he doesn't have any of the schlump-y attitude that Mr. Broderick used in this (and every) role.

Chase is only in through Sunday and if you like a Gershwin tune, now's your time.

I will say, the show is still flawed. Some of the choreography seems very High School, but Michael McGrath and Judy Kaye both won Tonys for their roles, and are still terrific.

• 6 months later...

Saw this musical the other night...Other than the occasional TV commercial for "Nice Work If You Can Get It", you don't hear much about it. I hadn't seen it before but read lots of positive reviews about Kelli O'Hara's performance. Her singing of Gershwin's hits is amazing and perhaps the best part of this "grandma loves it" type musical. I completely agree with skyny's comments on Matthew Broderick* but big names "sometimes" sell tickets.

Here's a list on the Gershwin songs that were included in the musical.

"Who Cares?"

"Ask Me Again"

"Anything for You"

"Someone to Watch Over Me"

"Luckiest Man in the World"

"Fascinating Rhythm"

"Will You Remember Me?"

"Nice Work If You Can Get It"

"Somebody Stole My Heart Away"

"A Foggy Day"/"Things Are Looking Up"

"Love Is in the Air"

"They Can't Take That Away from Me"

"For You, For Me, For Evermore"

All music composed by George Gershwin, and all lyrics written by Ira Gershwin.

*I'm replying to an old thread. Broderick is not on vacation.

Archived