R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine

JackTwist
This topic is 4359 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gene Hackman isn't dead. You're thinking of Ernest Borgnine.

RIP Leslie Nielsen. Had you taken on more extras (ballast) like Shelley Winters, your movie would have had a different ending and Gene Hackman would still be alive..

RIP Leslie Nielsen. Had you taken on more extras (ballast) like Shelley Winters, your movie would have had a different ending and Gene Hackman would still be alive..

Leslie Nielsen isn't—oh wait, Leslie Nielsen is dead. Ernest Borgnine's death represents another celebrity passing in what has come to be known as "The Poseidon Adventure Deathly Film Curse," which has claimed many lives in the 40 years since its release.

"To Each His Own."

I've read that some people in Hollywood considered Borgnine to be anti-gay because he expressed having no interest in seeing the film "Brokeback Mountain" and that "John Wayne would roll over in his grave" because of the Oscar-nominated gay western. However, in his autobiography he discussed with great sympathy the tremendous pressures that his gay co-stars like Montgomery Clift and Rock Hudson endured to remain in the closet or risk their careers tanking. More recently, he told an interviewer that he supported the right of same-sex couples to legally marry. "To each his own," he said. Rest in peace, Mr. Borgnine.

I've read that some people in Hollywood considered Borgnine to be anti-gay because he expressed having no interest in seeing the film "Brokeback Mountain" and that "John Wayne would roll over in his grave" because of the Oscar-nominated gay western. However, in his autobiography he discussed with great sympathy the tremendous pressures that his gay co-stars like Montgomery Clift and Rock Hudson endured to remain in the closet or risk their careers tanking. More recently, he told an interviewer that he supported the right of same-sex couples to legally marry. "To each his own," he said. Rest in peace, Mr. Borgnine.

Thanks for that information Toulouse...I had not known about his recent support and positive comments on Gay issues..."May God be with him"...

I've read that some people in Hollywood considered Borgnine to be anti-gay because he expressed having no interest in seeing the film "Brokeback Mountain" and that "John Wayne would roll over in his grave" because of the Oscar-nominated gay western.

If that's the standard by which one's views and beliefs are judged by, then as Leslie Nielsen stated in his last words as the captain of the Posideon, "God help us all"

If that's the standard by which one's views and beliefs are judged by, then as Leslie Nielsen stated in his last words as the captain of the Posideon, "God help us all"

Boner, I agree with you. It was apparently an unfair rush to judgement.

As a youngster, I enjoyed watching shows like McHale's Navy and The Andy Griffith Show with my parents and siblings. It's both ironic and sad to see the leading stars of these two quality family-friendly comedies pass away in the same week.

I recall that Ethel Merman devoted an entire chapter to Borgnine in her autobiography. A single blank page.

So much for dishing the dirt on their 32 day marriage.

Never heard that before. That's one way to keep it classy. I love it!

I recall that Ethel Merman devoted an entire chapter to Borgnine in her autobiography. A single blank page. So much for dishing the dirt on their 32 day marriage.

I read Merman's autobiography a while ago. She did not write about the very brief marriage, which apparently ended on the honeymoon. But Merman does admit to having serious doubts about marrying a younger men whom she barely knew. After Lucille Ball threw a bridal shower for her, Merman 'convinced' herself that she did love Ernest Borgnine.

Archived