Iphone question

rickp
This topic is 4359 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone know if there's a way to make my iphone speak other languages?

I'm trying to type in French, but it keeps auto-correcting to unrelated words in English.

The person I'm typing with is texting quickly complete with proper accents, so I'm thinking there must be a French spell checker somewhere?

Can anyone help?

You can set the phone's language to French in Settings->General->International->Language, although that may not be necessary because you could just disable autocorrect. They hide it pretty well. Settings->General->Keyboard->Auto-Correction. (Must've been good weed the day they decided to hide that setting in Keyboard.)

To *type* in French, with the accents, press and hold the unaccented letter. You'll get a popup of the various available accents and other diacriticals for that letter.

I think I can respond to this question. I switch often between French and English when typing on my iPhone.

There's auto-correct and spell check in French and you can switch from one language to another by clicking the "WORLD" button in the lower left corner (left of the space button on my screen). Lower left corner on the first picture below.

http://images.apple.com/iphone/ios/images/ios_worksallover.jpg

You can type one word in English and the next in French, but you need to change the language each time (as Deej pointed out).

Archived