Space Shuttle Missing (Exploded???)

ad rian
This topic is 7775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is such an incredibly sad, sad day.

We've lost seven good people. We've lost one of our four shuttles, a shuttle that the future will most likely prove to be literally irreplaceable. We've lost the results of the science that was done onboard. And we've lost a little of the dream.

Some of my friends think we spend too much money on the space program and see it as a waste of resources that could be better spent elsewhere. I disagree; besides the spinoffs that come from the program, I see it as a continuing journey toward an endless dream. There are few frontiers left on Earth to challenge us but in space the challenges are endless. And, as we have seen once again today, the risks are grave.

The fact that we have been as successful as we have been in space, with so few tragedies, is a testament to American and Russian engineering and ingenuity. But we are reminded from time to time how tragically wrong things can go in an instant.

I don't know if today's events will weaken the space program; I hope not. In fact, I sincerely hope that is strengthens American resolve to keep pressing forward, to "keep the dream alive."

As one of the NASA spokesmen said today, it's a terrible shame that it takes something like this to bring us together, as a nation and, to a certain extent, a world. It would be nice if we could remember how much we share and how much we have in common on other days.

Regarding the controversy raging above:

1. The accidental death of any group of people is a tragedy that should echo in the hearts and heads of all people. Politics has no part to play at such times. There are times when all civilized people must rise above their causes and their politics and their hatred and, for a brief moment, simply be human -- and humane.

2. Any person who celebrates the death of another, even the death of an enemy, is either (a) simply trying to provoke a response from other people; or (b) misguided; or © lacking in all compassion; or (d) tactless to the extreme.

In the first case, the proper response is turn away and ignore that person. In the second case, one should ignore him; one doesn't try to educate the uneducated at a funeral. In the the third case, one should feel pity for that person, for without compassion, it is not possible to be truly human, and then, feeling pity, turn away and concentrate on what is important. And, in the last case, one should wonder at the lack of tact, I suppose, and then move on, ignoring the transgressor.

Some events really represent great moments in national history. Today was one of those moments. I have been walking around stunned, feeling almost physically sick. I feel so sorry for those left behind and so sorry for all of us. The space program is one of those things that even today still seems particularly American and the world recognized that a bit today in the messages of condolence that were offered by many in other nations. We've lost seven good people but we've also lost a little of ourselves.

We'll be measured by how we pick up the pieces and move forward.

My best to you all,

BG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>It looks like our Israeli friends have learned a thing or two

>about suicide bombers! Quelle surprise! I'll raise a glass

>to the good General Sharon! Hip Hip

>Horay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Satan himself could celebrate the explosion of the space shuttle. Ad rian is obviously at best a sociopath and at worst insane. God, forgive him, because he knows not what he does.

Thanks for such an intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate post on this thread, as those seem to be lacking in here today! I can think of many, many things that I consider a bigger waste of tax dollars than the space program. There have been many, many technological advances and other benefits to modern life that have come about as a direct result of the space program! I hope we never lose the dream, as it is a basic nature of the human spirit to explore the unknown, and I feel it is necessary for the growth of the human race.

BTW, you need to post another message as your count is now 666 and we know what that means. :) I too feel a great sense of loss at today's tragedy and pray for the best for the families of those lost. It is really strange that all 3 of the space programs tragedies have all occurred during the same last few days of January and today the first of February.

The tragic loss of the space shuttle on Saturday morning is just that......a tragedy. Another sad fact is that tragedies often get politicized.......as was the case with Paul Wellstone's death, the events of September 11, and even this current tragedy. I somehow get the feeling that Ad rian is attributing the shuttle disaster to "karma" or the will of God, or something of that sort, in some form of divine or cosmic retribution.

The plain fact is that things go wrong with tragic results. Planes crash, shuttles explode, tornadoes wipe out cities, floods happen, and people die. My sympathy goes out to the families of all who die, regardless of the cause of their death.

I see no reason for celebration over the death of anyone, regardless of politics or belief. That is my personal view. But before anyone here gets up on the moral high horse, I suggest we consider how frequently we are morally inconsistent when it comes to that which is being described as outrageous or despicable.

Our current regime in Washington seems fixated on getting rid of Saddam Hussein. According to our president, he's the most evil man on the planet. Not so long ago, the most evil was Osama Bin Laden, but for the present, he seems to have vanished from the radar screen, because we don't seem to be able to find him so we can destroy him. Over the years, we have supported leaders who were every bit as sinister as Saddam Hussein. The Shah of Iran immediately comes to mind as one example. He was famous for maiming and killing those who were against his rule, much in the same fashion as Saddam Hussein does. In a matter of days or weeks, we will attack Iraq and few will be shedding tears for the countless innocents who will die in that war, who will die merely because they happen to live in Iraq, in harm's way. As a matter of fact, we'll hear very little about this "collateral damage" unless we hear it from foreign news organizations. Our own media outlets tend to fail miserably in reporting such realities because they don't want to be seen as unpatriotic. We'll be cheering the bravery of our troops, celebrating our successes and downplaying our failures. In the end, so little of this is about freedom and justice, and so much of it is about power and greed and keeping the oil flowing.

Poliltical leaders often become so myopic in the pursuit of their goals that it becomes difficult to distinquish between real instances of sincerity and their "made for television" sound bytes designed for maximum political effect. We mourn the deaths of people we consider to be "ours" and too often act gleeful at the deaths of those we count as our enemies. The Christian Right would have us think of America as a theocracy, led by Jesus, but the reality is they truly have little use for the namby pamby notions of "loving your enemies" as their espoused leader taught, much preferring an "eye for an eye" approach which he rejected.

I regret that Ad rian can take glee in the deaths that resulted from the Columbia tragedy, simply because an Israeli he views as a "war criminal" happened to be a part of the crew. That said, I don't favor his censorship, no matter how strongly I disagree with his views on this matter.

>1. The accidental death of any group of people is a tragedy

>that should echo in the hearts and heads of all people.

>Politics has no part to play at such times. There are times

>when all civilized people must rise above their causes and

>their politics and their hatred and, for a brief moment,

>simply be human -- and humane.

We'll see soon enough if you sing from the same hymm book when the bombs start falling on Iraq. I sure hope so.

>2. Any person who celebrates the death of another, even the

>death of an enemy, is either (a) simply trying to provoke a

>response from other people; or (b) misguided; or © lacking

>in all compassion; or (d) tactless to the extreme.

Hmmh, I suppose that's why General Sharon chose Colonel Ramon to be Israel's first astrnaut rather than choosing a scientist? I wonder if Colonel Ramon passed your test when he flew his fighter planes and fired at civilians in Lebanon and on the West Bank?

>Although others have gone overboard at

>times, myself included, this was truly the worst ever, as no

>one should so gleefully celebrate the tragic deaths of

>innocent people.

There goes that pesky phrase again, "inocent people". I don't regard Zionists occupiers or their war criminal as innocent people. Is that really so hard to understand?

Archived