Dual Sim Unlocked Cell Phone

BgMstr4u
This topic is 4449 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm getting ready for a month in Europe this summer and started looking around for an unlocked phone that would allow me to put in a local (Swiss and possibly French) sim card. My US phone is on AT&T, and they have rates for international, but I don't want to hassle with them for anything but emergency calls from the States. It would be nice, though, to have that phone working in Europe just in case. In my searching around (mostly on Amazon and J&R) I discovered unlocked dual sim card phones. I don't really want the full data experience, at most an android that works on wifi with no phone data charges.

I've found phones from a relatively new company called BLU that are considerably less expensive than the better known brands, and am attracted to this model:

http://www.amazon.com/D130-Unlocked-Touchscreen-Quad-Band-Dual-Sim/dp/B007PTNKJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1336810918&sr=1-1

Any experience with BLU? Advice? Recommendations for unlocked quadband gsm dual sim? Thanks.

Some of the U.S. phone companies will unlock your phone for free or a small charge after you've owned it for a while. So check with your carrier -- it may be possible to unlock the phone you have without having to buy a new one. Of course, it has to be a world phone or it won't work in some countries that use different broadcast bands than in the U.S. There are also independent places that will unlock your phone. Not sure what they charge, but it's undoubtedly less than buying a phone just for a trip. Look online for info.

Yes, thank you Tri. My cell phone in the US is provided through my work, so I can't unlock it myself (it requires the administrator of the plan to do so) and don't particularly want to go through that. Besides, I detest the phone I currently have. It can't do much and doesn't hold a charge very long. So i would be happy to get a new phone that would meet my requirements better while allowing me to continue to use my work number.

Anton: Which model number? Does it have the option of listening on both SIMs simultaneously? Thanks.

BgMstr4u: The BLU does look good, but I wonder about the battery life with Android Gingerbread.

Archived