"Once" on Broadway...

skynyc
This topic is 3505 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Once is a quiet, but delightful little musical which made it's NY stage debut last fall at the NYTW, (where Denis O'Hare and Stephen Spinella are currently alternating in An Iliad...see separate post.)

SPOILERS ahead.

Based on the movie of the same title, Once is a sweet small tale of two musicians who meet through music and change each other over the coarse of a week, before going their separate ways.

The transfer from downtown to the larger, but still intimate Jacobs theater has not ruined this beautifully performed exploration into the hearts of two young attractive people, played by Steve Kazee and Cristin Milioti and supported by a marvelous ensemble of singers and musicians who carry you to the Irish pubs that tourists never seem to find.

The doors open a half an hour before curtain, and the audience is welcome on stage to buy beer or wine (Caution: Broadway prices) and mingle with the cast as they come on stage to warm up their instruments, and their voices.

And then we meet Guy (Kazee) and Girl (Milioti) and watch them fall in love. These two performers are both wonderful.

I will say, that I saw an early preview, and while the music is utterly engaging, they could cut 20 minutes from the show, (two songs and some dialogue, please), that would only enhance the gentle nuance of the piece. But there's lovely humor, heart and exceptional music being performed here. This is the surprise of the season so far for me.

Once opens at the Jacobs on March 18th and has an open run.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won two Academy Awards for their work here...original score and original song (Falling Slowly). Here they are performing the song, to clips from the movie:

• 2 months later...

Once: 11 Tony Nominations

Over the entrance to the Benard B. Jacobs Theatre, where "Once" is playing, there's a banner that reads, "Nominated for 11 Tony Awards"....

This is a musical about a young Irish man (Steve Kazee) who works in his father's vacuum shop. He has a strong interest in music but is struggling with it . Just as he's about to toss away his guitar in walks a Czech immigrant (Cristin Milioti) who just happens to have a "Hoover that isn't sucking", (cue to roll out the vacuum). When she learns he writes music she insists he sings for her (cue to roll out the piano). After hearing his wonderful voice, she works on convincing him to pursue his music and record it. The two (secretly in love) develop a fond and respectful relationship that goes absolutely nowhere. (After the play ended, the lady seated next to me commented, they didn't even kiss!)

This is a multi-talented cast that not only can sing and act but each cast member plays an instrument or two. All singers/musicians are located on stage. Their singing is excellent and the songs are memorable. A very likeable cast with good character development. There is absolutely no problem understanding their Irish and Czech accents.

As mentioned by others, the play does seem to go on for about 20 minutes too long. During the 2nd act, when the 2 leads go off to the Ocean and quietly talk, I did find myself losing interest. Some of the songs also go on too long but the way they are delivered is amazing. I did like the use of the large mirror over the bar that reflected on the actors, almost as if they were being singled out.

Before the play and during intermission, the audience can go on stage and purchase drinks. Personally, I didn't like this. It was too time consuming as the stair railings had to be installed/removed and the bottles/boxes were brought in and removed. To me, it was unnecessary.

I've seen the other nominated musicals and it's hard to say whether "Once" will be the big winner. I wasn't blown away by it as I was for "Newsies".

Coop

http://www.oncemusical.com/index.html?gclid=CJyRxumc-K8CFYhM4AodH3a6Gw#googsearch

Cooper: I'm in the NEWSIES camp as far as this season's best musical. Though I enjoyed Steve Kazee very much in ONCE (as I did in 110 IN THE SHADE opposite Audra MacDonald), I found the show a bit of a bore. And Cristin Milloti especially uninteresting.

As for NEWSIES, I must admit (unlike a lot of folks) I have been a fan of the film (starring a young Christian Bale). So the stage version did not disappoint. I also think it has some of the best Choreography on Broadway.

Surely, it has not been the best season for musicals on Broadway (having sat through LEAP OF FAITH and GHOST as well!)

Though I enjoyed Steve Kazee very much in ONCE (as I did in 110 IN THE SHADE opposite Audra MacDonald), I found the show a bit of a bore. And Cristin Milloti especially uninteresting.

CGFD: You are absolutely correct about Steve Kazee. His leading man qualities shined brightly in this role. I did enjoy "girl" Cristin Milioti. She has an amazing voice and very talented on the piano. Both were nominated for a Tony.

http://copiousnotes.bloginky.com/files/2012/05/120501Tonys-Once.jpg

Behind them you can see their reflections in the stage mirror. It was used very effectively to focus on individual cast members.

Coop

• 2 years later...

I saw this production with Steve Kazee and Cristin Milioti on Broadway and it was a very enjoyable evening, especially seeing so much talent, not only in these two, but in the entire ensemble cast who played instruments, sang, danced and acted - a rarity on Broadway. Of course seeing this show with a special guy who also appreciated it very very much was a cherry on the icing.

Archived