Planning a ny theatre week

sf westcoaster
This topic is 4400 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning my annual week (May) of New York theatre going and find that there are some shows that I know nothing about and am looking for some insights. The shows are: "Don't Dress For Dinner", End of the Rainbow", "Ghost" and "One Man, Two Guvnors". Have you hear early on reports about about any of these vehicles ? I would appreciate any info you can give - Thanks.

My theater sources tell me "End of the Rainbow" was "in trouble" but failed to elaborate. It's on my list and nevertheless I'll be seeing it. "One Man, Two Guvnors" is coming in after a successful run at the National theater in London. I thought it was fabulous but have some hesitation as to how American audiences will react to the British humor.

Here issome background on some of these productions:

The planes heading westward from London are packed with Broadway-bound shows this season. Also from England is the National Theatre production of One Man, Two Guvnors, a rare opportunity for Broadway audiences to see a comedy by 18th-century Italian master Carlo Goldini. The fiendishly complicated plot, adapted by Richard Bean (the play is typically called The Servant of Two Masters), centers on Francis Henshall (played by popular British television star James Corden, also of The History Boys), who takes on jobs as lackey to two parties in order to meet his insatiable appetite for food. Trouble is, one of his bosses is out to kill the other one. The comedy will open at the Music Box on April 18.

Ghost is a musical based on an American property — the 1990 supernatural love story that starred Patrick Swayze, Whoopi Goldberg and Demi Moore — but it was England that gave the show its premiere. The script was assembled by a cross-Atlantic crew that included original screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin, who adapted his original screenplay, composer Dave Stewart (half of The Eurythmics) and prolific American pop songwriter Glen Ballard ("Man in the Mirror," "You Oughta Know"). It opens at the

Another Anglo-American mash-up is End Of The Rainbow, a new play by Britisher Peter Quilter about the final months of legendary entertainer Judy Garland. English actress Tracie Bennett (acclaimed for this assignment) plays the troubled Garland as she prepares for her latest comeback. Joining her is her new young fiance (Tom Pelphrey) and adoring accompanist (Michael Cumpsty). For the Garland-obsessed (I think there are a few theatregoers out there who meet that description), the show will feature several of the singer's most memorable songs. Opening is April 2 at the Belasco.

Also, of consideration, Leap of Faith, Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Nice Work If You Can Get It.

ED

Gore Vidal's The Best Man has a stellar cast, Evita looks good too. I am seeing Death of A Salesman.

And, if you like exciting dance, Dance Brazil will be at the Joyce theater for part of May.

4000 Miles at the Lincoln Center also looks good.

I saw Leap of faith in LA and it was way too long. I hope they have cut it for New York.

My 2 cents:

Don't Dress for Dinner is the sequel to Boeing Boeing featuring the same characters...but since Mark Rylance is coming with it, I have to wonder how well it will be received.

I have heard mixed things about End of the Rainbow. I think the average fan will love it, but I know some Garland die-hards who feel Tracie Bennett should be burned at the stake. I am looking forward to it.

I had a friend who saw Ghost in London and hated it. The two leads sang a song from it on one of the late night shows last week, and I wasn't that impressed. Fallon's show. But I am curious how they'll play the part that Whoopi played. (Molly, you're in danger girl.)

One Man, Two Guvnors was shown on movie screens as part of the National Theater's LIVE broadcasts...and it was RIOTOUS. I haven't guffawed in a long time. (Nor even used the word 'guffaw'.) I know they're using some American performers, but I don't know to what extent.

If you get EVITA tickets...make sure you don't get them for Wed NIGHT or Saturday MATINEE. The lead is not doing those performances. A friend in the cast is VERY excited about it. Says he thinks it's going to be great...(and he is usually very honest about these things.)

"Once" has moved uptown from the New York Theater Workshop and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's a very simple, romantic story based on the movie of the same name.

Arrive 15 minutes early - there's a show before the show.

For buzz on all things Broadway visit this site.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/index.php

You can search for info about most any show - whether running or soon to open.

Heaps of thanks for all the info - Have started the process of buying tickets - so far have tickets for:"One Man - Two Guvnors","Other Desert Cities", "Nice Work If you Can Get It' and "The Best Man".

Still thinking about "Evita" - I have seen it three different times and am not sure that a fourth viewing is worth $100+.

Again thanks for all the insight and recommendations.

Because I had already seen Other Desert Cities, I didn't think to mention it. It is really good. There is talk about Clybourne Park as a Tony winner, but I saw it in LA and it doesn't hold a candle to ODC.

I have tickets to see Tribes, 4000 Miles, The Best Man, as well as One Man, Two Guvnors, and Death of A Salesman- I would not miss Phillip Seymour Hoffman in this!- and Evita, which I have never seen.

• 2 months later...

I liked 4000 Miles, but was not overwhelmed. It seemed to be about the failure to communicate. Gramma couldn't find her words, her men never satisfied her, except for one, but she was keeping her lips zipped on his identity. Grandson could not communicate with his sister, his mother, his ex. His best friend couldn't hear his warning about the approaching truck. Et cetera.

Tribes, at the Barrow Theater and directed by David Cromer, was also about the inability to hear others, even by those not with hearing impairments. We are all talking over one another, not listening as we wait to say our own thoughts.

The acting in 4000 Miles was quite good, especially the grandson, and, in a minor role, the Asian girl he brought home. She was a hoot.

Archived