411 from Tequila Drinkers

Epigonos
This topic is 4543 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was so impressed with all the great answers to the inquiry 411 from Scotch Drinkers that I thought I would ask the same question but have it directed to Tequila. I have two nephews who are real connoisseurs of Tequila. I know absolutely nothing about Tequila except that I drink it in Margaritas. I go the Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) all the time so I can buy it here in the U.S. or in Mexico. My nephews enjoy sipping it and also drinking shots. I am willing to pay as much as $150 a bottle if I can get something special in that price range. Thanks in advance for the information

First, they invented Tequila.

Then the term, "Stupid Mexican" as coined.

In my experience, you drink enough Tequila, you too can be a STUPID MEXICAN!

My buddy got married and they honeymooned in Acapulco. He and his bride sat on the beach drinking Margaritas. They both got pissed, she got pissed at him, and he had to check into another room for the night. The marriage lasted six miserable years. But that night, they were both Stupid Mexicans.

Tequila can be a fine spirit and compares quite favorably (but even smoother) to fine scotch.

Sure some tequila is crap and because even mediocre tequila is relatively smooth people overdo it and then blame it on the tequila.

Tequila is basically Mezcal that comes from the maguey. Specifically the blue agave grown in specific parts of Mexico. Mostly in the state of Jalisco and the region around the town of Tequila.

The process of distillation is believed my many to have been introduced by the spaniards but this is not certain and alcoholic drinks made from the maguey (specifically Pulque) have existed in Mexico since pre-columbian times. Whether the aguamiel was ever distilled is a matter of debate.

As Tequila is a subset of Mezcal one can actually find a greater range of Mezcal with lots of rot gut stuff that could not legally be sold as a beverage much less Tequila and some really fine liquor that either doesn't meet Mexicos laws of origen or marketing requirements to be labeled as Tequila.

Having said that I encourage anyone who has not had a wonderful tequila to go to a decent bar and try some. There are bars that specialize in tequila now in a few of the larger cities in the U.S.

While there are some very difficult to find limited and phenomenal tequilas I think one can do well simply with some of the better commercial tequilas that are readily available in the U.S. such as Cazadores, Herradura, Don Julio, Gran Centenario, Trago, and Tres Generaciones.

There is quite a variety within each brand as most will have Anejo, Reposados and Platas, or some similarly labeled aged gold and silvers.

Raul

http://daddysreviews.com/review/raul_g_chicago

I second Raul's suggestions!

"While there are some very difficult to find limited and phenomenal tequilas I think one can do well simply with some of the better commercial tequilas that are readily available in the U.S. such as Cazadores, Herradura, Don Julio, Gran Centenario, Trago, and Tres Generaciones."

I'm familiar with most of the brands that Raul recommended, particularly Don Julio and Gran Centenario. Years ago the bartender (Javier?) at Garbo's Bar in Puerto Vallarta had me try Don Julio when I asked him which tequila was his favorite, quite an improvement over Jose Cuervo! Later on I went to language school in Cuernavaca where I had several tastings of various tequilas and tried to learn all the differences between Reposado, Anejo, etc. I actually like Gran Centenario Reposado for sipping and mixing as it's not particularly expensive. Recently I started drinking their Rosengel which has an infusion of Hibiscus flowers, harder to find and more expensive, but a real treat. I try to keep a bottle of Don Julio Anejo for company, it's the smoothest of all the tequilas that I can regularly afford. Don Julio 1942 is aged for 2&1/2 years and quite expensive. This might be the kind of rare and impressive tequila that you are looking for, they also make a Real, but I've never found it. Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo gives me a hangover, just like some of the posts at the start of this thread.

I love me some tequila sunrise, but I hate the 'well' tequila that the bars pour as it gives me an intense hangover the next day. Tequila is distinct...has a very salty and tropical flavor.

http://whiskeygoldmine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/patron-anejo-patron-reposado-patron-silver.jpg

http://www.drinkspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Untitled.png

http://mexicofoodandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tequila-sunrise-by-ankale-flickr.jpg

Archived