Montreal Hotel suggestions?

tony
This topic is 4535 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Planning a trip to Montreal next summer and want to stay in a good hotel but also one very close to the gay scene. Never having been there, would appreciate suggestions on hotels close to or within walking distance or right where the action is. I want a good hotel, as I have tons of points with both Hilton and Starwood properties but will pay if I have to for a great location.

Thanks.

Planning a trip to Montreal next summer and want to stay in a good hotel but also one very close to the gay scene. Never having been there, would appreciate suggestions on hotels close to or within walking distance or right where the action is. I want a good hotel, as I have tons of points with both Hilton and Starwood properties but will pay if I have to for a great location.

Thanks.

The closest hotel to the action, right at Metro Berri on the edge of the Gay Village, is the Gouverneur Place Dupuis. It's a 2-minute walk from the nearest strip club. Your points won't do you any good there. There are other hotels of considerably lower quality in the Village.

If you want to use your points, there is the Hilton Bonaventure, Le Sheraton Centre-Ville, Le Westin Montreal, and a W hotel. All of these are on the orange line metro, about a 5-6 minute ride from metro Berri. From top to bottom in terms of quality, IMO, they would go W (I guess; I've never stayed there), Westin, Sheraton, Hilton. I would rank all of them above the Gouverneur in quality.

I personally prefer to stay outside the Village in one of the downtown hotels like the ones listed for a variety of reasons.

Tony,

newatthis is spot on with his description of the hotel options. I have never stayed at the Gouverneur....but I know it is the best of all the hotels that are walking distance to the gay village. I tend to stay at the brand hotels that newatthis mentioned. I personally don't mind the metro or taxi trip to/from the village but I know some people like to be in the heart of the action.

I have always stayed at the Gouverneur. While it is not on the same par as Sheraton or the W. It is very close and easy walking distance to the action, especially during the day when going back and forth to your hotel sometimes becomes necessary, I didn't like having to take the metro just to go back to my room for and hour or so. Keep in mind that the Gouverneur does not frown on you bringing the boys up to the room. Had trouble with a guy once who wouldn't leave, and Hotel security was quick to respond, and very descreet. I have tried some of the other smaller hotels right in the heart of St. Cathrines, but I would not under any circumstance repeat that choice again, they were cheap but a bit too seedy for me.

Archived