Broadway Grosses

Lucky
This topic is 4559 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Interesting to note that Ching-Lish, which I liked a lot, and Follies, which many here like, are the two worst selling shows on Broadway this past week.

Ching-Lish only sold 45.4% of its seats, and Follies sold 47%. This is for Thanksgiving week, a big time for tourists.

Bonnie & Clyde, which had yet to get its bad reviews, sold 78.8% of its seats.

Wicked, Book of Mormon, War Horse, and The Lion King were sellouts.

From talking to people much more knowing about Broadway than I, the grosses are just as important as percent of seats sold. "Follies," a show that I did not like, is playing in a huge theater. There is no denying that it has slipped badly with the availability of other musicals now as well as concerts (Jackman & LuPone/Patinkin). But at 47% and limited discounts, "Follies" may still be close to meeting its weekly break even number.

I recognize that this is just one week in a show's run, and you have a good point about the size of the theater. For me, Follies would have been better in a smaller theater anyway.

The fact remains that the statistic has some value in determining a show's popularity.

Archived