The Crimes of Father Amaro - A Review for ad rian

ad rian
This topic is 7775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: The Crimes of Rabbi Neulaner - A Review for Bewareo...

an·ti-Sem·ite (nt-smt, nt-)

n.

One who discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.

anti-Se·mitic (-s-mtk) adj.

pathological adj

2: caused by or evidencing a mentally disturbed condition; "a pathological liar"; "a pathological urge to succeed"

ob·ses·sion n.

Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling

ad rian n.

One with a pathological anti-Semitic obsession

-Truth Justice and the American Way

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>ad rian n.

>

>One with a pathological anti-Semitic obsession

I am still waiting for the logical explanation for why discussing rabbis who kill their wives is antisemitic prima facie, but discussing abuse by RC priests is not. Pray tell, what does your dictionary say about that?

Is name calling wrong when it's true?

>>Rabbis get fired by congregations all the time, for

>>actions far less outrageous than murdering their spouses.

>In

>>Rabbi Neulander's case, there's no connection between his

>>congregation and his actions. He wasn't acting in his

>>capacity as a congregational leader when he arranged for

>his

>>wife's murder, and there's no evidence that the

>congregation

>>was in any way complicit in his crime by trying to protect

>him

>>or cover up for him. There have been cases where a rabbi

>took

>>advantage of his official position to seduce members of

>the

>>congregation who came to him for rabbinical counseling, and

>in

>>those cases there have been settlements with the victims

>on

>>behalf of the congregation. (That would be more comparable

>to

>>the current situation in the Catholic Church than Rabbi

>>Neulander's crime.)

>

>See we can agree after all. Perhaps it is the lawyer in me,

NO, it's the Jew hater in you!

"is it true that you used to go bowling with Goebbels?" - The Exorcist

Dan Dare

http://gaydar.co.uk/dandarela

RE: Name calling is a Simpleton's Argument!

>"is it true that you used to go bowling with Goebbels?" - The

>Exorcist

Mr. Hirsute, "tell me, was it public relations you done for the Gestapo or community relations?" - From the same movie!

>>ad rian n.

>>

>>One with a pathological anti-Semitic obsession

>

>I am still waiting for the logical explanation for why

>discussing rabbis who kill their wives is antisemitic prima

>facie, but discussing abuse by RC priests is not. Pray tell,

>what does your dictionary say about that?

This is a thread about a movie. If you wish to discuss the Rabbi, start your own thread. Can you even discuss this without going into Jew Hater mode?

>This is a thread about a movie. If you wish to discuss the

>Rabbi, start your own thread. Can you even discuss this

>without going into Jew Hater mode?

Like I said, don't put my name in the title of your thread and I won't respond with balance. BTW, I am still waiting for you to explain why discussing the crimes of the good rabbi is antisemitic, while discussing the crimes of RC certain priests is not anticatholic hatred. Given that you refuse to do so, I am beginning to think that even you know that you can't.

>>This is a thread about a movie. If you wish to discuss

>the

>>Rabbi, start your own thread. Can you even discuss this

>>without going into Jew Hater mode?

>

>Like I said, don't put my name in the title of your thread

>and I won't respond with balance. BTW, I am still waiting for

>you to explain why discussing the crimes of the good rabbi is

>antisemitic, while discussing the crimes of RC certain priests

>is not anticatholic hatred. Given that you refuse to do so, I

>am beginning to think that even you know that you can't.

Well, considering I never said anything remotely close to that, and that that is not the subject, perhaps you'd care to comment on THE MOVIE which is the subject at hand. When they make a movie about the Rabbi, I will be happy to review it.

>Well, considering I never said anything remotely close to

>that, and that that is not the subject, perhaps you'd care to

>comment on THE MOVIE which is the subject at hand. When they

>make a movie about the Rabbi, I will be happy to review it.

You've got to be kidding! You put my name in the title of your post. You post numerous posts caling me an antisemite on this thread when I raise the issue of the murdering rabbi, and now you want to deny it? Sorry, when you get serious, I'll review your movies!

>You've got to be kidding! You put my name in the title of

>your post. You post numerous posts caling me an antisemite on

>this thread when I raise the issue of the murdering rabbi, and

>now you want to deny it? Sorry, when you get serious, I'll

>review your movies!

I put your name in the title because I was interested in your perspective on the movie. Instead of giving me that, you launch into one of your anti-Jew diatribes.

Yes, I called you an anti-Semite. That is a fact and is clear to everyone on this board.

Can you discuss the movie or are you incapable of discussion that does not involve anti-Semitism?

>I put your name in the title because I was interested in your

>perspective on the movie. Instead of giving me that, you

>launch into one of your anti-Jew diatribes.

I have no interest in the movie, beyond exposing the hypocrisy of folks like you. I am, however, interested in having you try to explain why it is antisemitic to discuss a murdering rabbi, but not anti-catholic to discuss priests who abuse. I am still waiting for a logical rational defense of your position.

RE: Infantalization, Master Races and Chosen People

>Once again you miss the point. Every time anyone brings up a

>subject that is controversial, you ring in with your anti-Jews

>rants. It;s not about the rabbi, it's about your mental

>illness.

I am still waiting for you to explain why discussing a murdering rabbi is prima facie antisemitic? (Then again, I am still waiting for you to explain why criticizing Israel is prima facie antisemitic too.)

Sorry, Dr., I just don't buy the line that on this Board we can have a go at every group under the sun except for Jews? To do so is to infantalize Jews, and to engage in the condasension of the "noble savage". But I suppose infantalization was a fad in the Weimar Republic and the Warsaw Ghetto in earlier times. Plus ca change? Do you realy believe that Jews in general, or Israelis in particular can do no wrong? If not, show me one post where you have ever criticized either group. We know you can take off on Catholics and Muslims, but can you ever criticize your own?

RE: Paranoia, paranoia, somebody's coming to get me...

No one has ever even remotely suggested it. If however you had brought this subject up on its own, I would be more than happy to discuss it. You however bring up anti Jewish sentiment every time Iraq or Islam or Catholicism is briught up. You are incapable of discussing these issue without being anti-Semitic. If you could discuss these issues without doing that, you would not be anti-Semitic, but you are. There's no one on this board who doesn't think you hate Jews because, quite frankly, you have painted yourself that way. The sad part is that you are totally incapable of seeing it.

Guest Hole_4_Hire

>There's no one on this board who doesn't think you hate Jews...

Nick, I'm quite capable of speaking for myself. You lose credibility with me when you start using absurd absolutes like "no one on this board..."

I don't mind you having an opinion and posting it. Just don't try to speak for me. I'll do that when I think it's warranted. x(

BTW, I don't disagree with your opinion. It just gets my shorts in a bunch when you display the god-like attitude that you speak for everyone.

RE: Infantalization, Name-calling and "Antisemitism"

>You however bring up anti Jewish

>sentiment every time Iraq or Islam or Catholicism is briught

>up. You are incapable of discussing these issue without being

>anti-Semitic. If you could discuss these issues without doing

>that, you would not be anti-Semitic, but you are.

Well, I don't think it is antisemitic to discuss Israel in the context of the war on terrorism, or to discuss abuse in orthodox Jewish sects or murdering rabbis when discussing abuse by RC priests. (In each of these cases I have responded to, not initiated threads.) Each time I respond to one of these threads making these points, I get kneejerk rsponses from the likes of you screaming antisemitism. I reject that rhetorical fascism and intellectual Stalinism. Your self-righteousness turns me cold.

Again, point me to a single post where you have criticized Israel or Jews. I can point you to many where you have criticized Muslims and Catholics. You'd have a lot more credibility in those posts if you could ever criticize your own kind. You can't or you won't so I promise to add balance where warranted.

I suggest an interesting thought experiment for you. Do a search of your posts where you have discussed Muslims or Catholics, and replace either word with "Jew" then see if you are comfortable with what you write and the way you write it. I suspect you'd be calling yourself an antisemite very quickly if you tried the experiment. The trite resort to that name calling debases any meaning that the phrase "antisemitism" might have had or might have again.

>>There's no one on this board who doesn't think you hate

>Jews...

>

>Nick, I'm quite capable of speaking for myself. You lose

>credibility with me when you start using absurd absolutes like

>"no one on this board..."

>

>I don't mind you having an opinion and posting it. Just don't

>try to speak for me. I'll do that when I think it's

>warranted. x(

>

>BTW, I don't disagree with your opinion. It just gets my

>shorts in a bunch when you display the god-like attitude that

>you speak for everyone.

My apologies. And it's Neal

-Truth Justice and the American Way

Mexican director Carlos Carrera makes his point immediately. Even before the credits, we learn that his movie, "The Crimes of Father Amaro" ("El Crimen del Padre Amaro"), is based on a Portuguese novel written in 1875. Yet the film is set in the present. The clear implication: When it comes to the Catholic Church, it's same as it ever was. Inadvertently, he also makes the point: When it comes to criticizing the church, it's same as it ever was, too, i.e., often one-sided overkill.

A melodramatic look at corruption and sex scandals in the present-day church, Carrera's film caused an uproar over its presumed blasphemy when it was released earlier this year in Mexico. It also became the country's biggest box office hit -- and the official nominee in Oscar's best foreign language film category. Talk about blasphemy . . . how can they have passed over "Y Tu Mama Tambien," one of the best films of the year, for a so-so picture that has a lot in common with the soap operas on Telemundo?

The movie is eminently watchable but predictable, pulpy and obviously biased. Plus, its accusations have nothing to do with timelier issues such as pedophilia. Carrera merely makes the same point that's been made for centuries about the church (or any other entrenched religious authority). Namely, that it's always favored cover-ups over confrontation when it comes to some of its priests' failings.

In "Crimes," the transgressions involve pride, greed, moral laxity and the seduction of a religious 16-year-old virgin (Ana Claudia Talancon). Father Amaro (Gael Garcia Bernal, from "Y Tu Mama Tambien") is fresh out of seminary and assigned to the pleasant, if remote, town of Los Reyes. The appointment was made by the bishop himself, which, to the town's elder priest, Father Benito (Sancho Gracia), means that the kid is around to get some real-life seasoning before being shipped off to Rome.

Los Reyes may be pleasant, but it's as scandal-ridden as Peyton Place. Father Benito is in league with the local drug lord, telling himself that laundering money for him is for a good cause (a new hospital). He's also literally in bed with a widowed restaurateur.

Meanwhile, up in the mountains, Father Natalio (Damian Alcazar) has aligned himself with peasant guerrillas resisting the drug lords. Oddly enough -- and very much to the picture's point -- both priests land on the front page of the newspaper in a scolding expose. Guess who is punished and who gets the church's protection?

Carrera's message is that, as long as the church looks the other way, corruption and scandal will continue to dog it. Unfortunately, his ham-fisted storytelling makes everything simplistic. The movie gets less interesting as it goes along.

However, Bernal gets more interesting. He has the jewel-eyed beauty of the young Timothy Dalton in "The Lion in Winter" plus a compelling presence. A smarter, more provocative movie might've given us more of a sense of Amaro's moral gray zone. Instead, we get lust, tears and tragedy enveloping a narrow view of ill-behaved priests.

The more things change......

Perhaps ypu'd care to quote them for me? Actually, I don't believe you can/ And for someone who hates personal attacks, you didn't waste anytime giving me a negative rating on my profile. Of course, you are too chicken shit to let people rate you.

>Perhaps ypu'd care to quote them for me? Actually, I don't

>believe you can/ And for someone who hates personal attacks,

>you didn't waste anytime giving me a negative rating on my

>profile. Of course, you are too chicken shit to let people

>rate you.

Actually, I have been rated if you had bothered to check. And my comment was not a personal attack on you, just a statement of fact.

Look, read your own posts. You have not been at all subtle. In this thread alone you have done several interesting pirouettes. First, you call me a name then you deny it. Do a search of your name, and look at what you have written. Get in touch with yourself. It could be quite a revelation for you. Enjoy your journey of discovery!

Guest Bitchboy

I criticize Jews all the time, but then they of course are not "my own kind" as what's-his-name so delicately puts it. I think the murdering rabbi is a disgrace to religious people (and of course non-relgious people) anywhere. Yet he is an individual case, and he was tried and finally convicted. The catholic church, of which I am/was a member, baptized and saddled with 12 years of parochial school, is constantly trying to hide it's past in regard to its misdeeds against children. Now that Cardinal Law has received permission to proceed on his quest to file bank bankruptcy (he still needs the approval of the pope) he will try to stifle it even more. But of course he ultimately won't be successful, because the people, Catholics and Jews alike, won't let him. :)

Hole is right in that we can all speak for ourselves. I say what's-his-face is a Jew hater and it shows in most all his posts. ;(

I also think he's someone I wouldn't want to be sitting next to on an airplane. But then again I only speak for myself.:D

An Anti-Semite By Any Other Name.....

>Actually, I have been rated if you had bothered to check. And

>my comment was not a personal attack on you, just a statement

>of fact.

>

>Look, read your own posts. You have not been at all subtle.

>In this thread alone you have done several interesting

>pirouettes. First, you call me a name then you deny it. Do a

>search of your name, and look at what you have written. Get

>in touch with yourself. It could be quite a revelation for

>you. Enjoy your journey of discovery!

I have never denied calling you an anti-Semite, but it's not name calling when it is a statement of fact. You still haven't provided any documented proof of your earlier allegations. Where is it?

RE: Infantalization, Name-calling and "Antisemitis...

>Well, I don't think it is antisemitic to discuss Israel in

>the context of the war on terrorism, or to discuss abuse in

>orthodox Jewish sects or murdering rabbis when discussing

>abuse by RC priests.

"murdering rabbiS"? plural?

Hmmmm.... let's see.... there's Rabbi Neulander.... and who are the others?

Oh, *I* know.... they're the rabbis that murder the little Christian children and suck out their blood!

RE: Still waiting for a logical explanation for your accusation

>I have never denied calling you an anti-Semite, but it's not

>name calling when it is a statement of fact. You still

>haven't provided any documented proof of your earlier

>allegations. Where is it?

Read your posts. Do a search. It's all there. Again, please explain why discussing a murdering rabbi or criticizing Israel for its actions constitute prima facie evidence of antisemitism.

Archived