Greetings!

robberbaron4u
This topic is 4592 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At one time, the University of Mississippi offered an "educational" sojourn in Cuba to study the cultivation of cotton; the educational and cultural "loopholes" in travel restrictions to that country are numerous. A a spacious three room suite with terrace in the old Hotel Nationale,the "twin sister" of The Breakers at Palm Beach, can be had for $185.00US and a good dinner with wine for $15.00US, more or less, making the Cuban scene a travel bargain.

Guest LatinoRican

The Treasury Department (http://www.treas.gov) approves permits for Cuba travel to U.S. citizens for a number of purposes. If you have the time, read their list. They provide specific examples and maybe you can find something that applies to you. As a retired, college professor I traveled to Cuba on several occasions and believe me that there is something for everyone to enjoy and plenty of it. The Cuban men know the game and play it well. So, even if you are going for educational or humanistic purposes, make the best of it. After all, you never know when you may be able to return!

Of the 543 active member here, who gives a shit? Greetings!

(RB4BN, you may want to look at your UK Cousin's post: http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?80653-Cuba&highlight=cuba)

Some members, at least, appear to find the baron's eccentricities at LEAST as entertainiing as your BN conspiracy theories. And the good baron has the advantage of appearing to be good-natured and free of malice.

I actually traveled there years ago as part of a cultural exchange for the performing arts. A friend of mine had a dance group that was invited. I was able to tag a long as part of that group. The gay scene was so underground that we were warned not to even attempt any kind of contact. And we were asked to be on our best behavior. They warned the ramifications of an incident, would be larger out of the control of our sponsors. They didn't need to tell me twice!

Most people who want to travel to Cuba, and don't have an acceptable U.S. Government reason, do so by flying through Mexico City. I have never done so because I have no interest in visiting Cuba but I understand it is quite easy. Supposedly travelers passport are not stamped thus there is no official record of the trip. As far as the U.S. Government knows officially the traveler was vacationing in Mexico.

I have always wanted to go to Cuba. Now that there has been a very interesting and robust discussion of American interests in keeping an embargo on Cuba, has there been an equal one discussing tip on where to stay if you do visit, what to eat, and how to gain some male companionship for recompense (assuming that the mentioned homophobia does not prevent it)?

TBT..I will tell you that my trip was years ago. Alot has changed. I have seen specials on Logo channel and read other articles that the gay scene is much improved and really more open, and it is from my understanding that the gay scene is tolerated and accepted in certain sections of the city. A little research would probably give you a wealth of information on what and where to go and how to behave in certain areas. If I were to go now, I would not be afraid to engage in a little fun.

Lonely Planet, the Australian publisher of guide books has a volume on Cuba. I'm sure it can be ordered on the internet from Amazon or directly from Lonely Planet. They are usually full of "how to" information and tend to appeal to the backpack crowd but are always full of useful information even for comfort travelers like me.

Archived