Theater Week

Lucky
This topic is 4602 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

8 shows in 6 days. That's the way I like to tour New York. We started with the very funny Ching-lish, then Follies and Other Desert Cities. I really enjoyed ODC. The acting was fantastic and the ending a true surprise.

Man & Boy was an opportunity to enjoy the fine acting of Frank Langella, even if the play had a little fun at the expense of gays. But it was written in the thirties, so was probably brave for its time.

Blood & Gifts at the Lincoln Center is a look at America's involvement in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation. We armed the rebels, and then of course they used our weapons and training against us. The play shows how difficult it can be to deal with the tribalism there.On the other hand, the show is too long and requires that you know the history of the time. The staging was awkward, but it was only the second preview. I'll bet the show you see next month is not the show I saw.

We also saw Atmosphere of Memory with Ellen Burstyn and John Glover. It was the worst of the week. Glover is excellent, but the play is horrid.

I wrote elsewhere about Asuncion with Jesse Eisenberg. I liked it a lot. The last show was The Bus at 59E.59th theaters. The venue is horrible, but the show was well done, about young gay lovers.

Can concur with Lucky that Other Desert Cities is terrifically acted and stronger on Broadway than it was up at Lincoln Center. It's a little darker IMHO, because Rachel Griffiths is a little clearer in her portrayal of spoiled writer needing to be honest about her "miserable" parents than Elizabeth Marvel was in the original production. Judith Light is again (as always) amazing in the smaller role of Silda. Stacy Keach's understated performance as Lyman is the base of the show. I went Tuesday with four friends, three of whom loved it. ONe, however found the pacing very sit-com-like, and didn't care for it. It opened last night...eager to see reviews.

I saw Chinglish on Wednesday and agree it's a very funny interesting show, well constructed and performed. It reminded me of many solid B+ shows that played Broadway in the late 80s/early 90s, when producers were a little more willing to risk a Broadway run, (and ticket prices for plays were $55-$70 which means you could see them for $35 if you went to the half-price booth.) The production is pretty lavish with a complex double-revolving set and sub-titles which appear to translate the Mandarin. This is playing at the Longacre, which is a pretty large theater, (Orchestra, Mezz, and Balcony) and I don't think anyone was seated at the top. There are lots of discounts and to my mind was worth what I paid ($40). I suspect this will have a quick run...perhaps thru Christmas.

The NY Times allows Reader Reviews in brief on shows in New York, so I put my two cents in on Ching-lish. A day or so later, I found my quote being used in an article on how different people were reacting to the play.

It's nice when the Times thinks your quote is worth repeating!

Archived