Hotels in Barcelona and Madrid

Axiom2001
This topic is 4579 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Within a few months, my good friend and I might venture to both Barcelona and Madrid. From there he's off to Paris, and I will go to Berlin instead.

I am needing to know of hotel possibilities in both cities in Spain. I already know about (from previous posts) The Hotel Axel and California in Barcelona. I know nothing about possibilities in Madrid.

OK, all of you previous travelers--fire off the info. now. I'm panting to receive and read and plan!

OK.....here goes Axiom.

Firstly, I do not stay at gay-oriented hotels anywhere, so I cannot give you any advice on those sort of places. I have been to Barcelona twice and Madrid five times in the last 18 months and have stayed at two different hotels at each.

BARCELONA

First hotel I stayed at was the Le Meridien just off the Las Ramblas pedestrian way. Fantastic location to be based in. Walking distance to lots of turist attractions. Easy access to the metro. Just overall a great place. Can be pricey however. You are paying for location and the fact its a really nice hotel.

Second hotel was the Hilton Diagonal Mar. One block from the sea. Somewhat far out but close to a metro stop and the trolley line. This hotel had a totally different feel than the Le Meridien. Much quieter area. Trip into town on the trolley/metro only takes 10-15 minutes and is really fun (especially the trolley). The Hilton was much more cost effective than the Le Meridien. If you plan well, you can get it for 100 euros per night. As a Hilton elite member, I got free breakfast included.

MADRID

I have stayed at the Ritz one time. Very nice and historic and very high end. Looks down on the Prado museum. Very well decorated. The person that checks you in walks you up to your room to make sure everything is OK. Door room keys look like the originals from 100 years ago!! Just a really nice place and you cannot beat the location. Walk to the museums, restaurants, plaza mayor......everything! Very very expensive. I don't think you can get a room for under 250 Euros per night.....usually closer to 300euros or more. The hotel has a stunning very high end outdoor restaurant on the veranda that I went to one evening with my "companion". I will remember that meal and evening for the rest of my life. Dining under the stars, 75 degrees temperature, looking down on the illuminated Prado Museum, champagne, waiters falling over themselves to help you (I think they were turned on by my hot companion).....just spectacular. I don't know if that restaurant is open in the winter however. May be too cold.

The other hotel I have stayed at four times is the Westin Palace. Across the street from the Prado museum. Just celebrated their 100 year anniversary. Very historic (like the Ritz) and has a stunning restaurant area where breakfast is served. Painted glass dome and everything. Lovely overall. Expensive also.....although somewhat cheaper than the Ritz. If you book three or more nights, you can get additional discounts. Also, the price varies depending on the time of year. I have gotten rooms as cheap as 165 euros per night and other times paid more.

I realize these sorts of hotels are not for everyone. Obviously, there are tons of hotels in both cities so you will be spoiled for choice. Best path forward is to decide what part of town you want to stay in and then look for properties in that are that are in line with your budget.

I have been to loads of restaurants in Madrid. PM me if you need additional information. Have fun!!

OK.....here goes Axiom.

Firstly, I do not stay at gay-oriented hotels anywhere, so I cannot give you any advice on those sort of places. I have been to Barcelona twice and Madrid five times in the last 18 months and have stayed at two different hotels at each.

BARCELONA

First hotel I stayed at was the Le Meridien just off the Las Ramblas pedestrian way. Fantastic location to be based in. Walking distance to lots of turist attractions. Easy access to the metro. Just overall a great place. Can be pricey however. You are paying for location and the fact its a really nice hotel.

Second hotel was the Hilton Diagonal Mar. One block from the sea. Somewhat far out but close to a metro stop and the trolley line. This hotel had a totally different feel than the Le Meridien. Much quieter area. Trip into town on the trolley/metro only takes 10-15 minutes and is really fun (especially the trolley). The Hilton was much more cost effective than the Le Meridien. If you plan well, you can get it for 100 euros per night. As a Hilton elite member, I got free breakfast included.

MADRID

I have stayed at the Ritz one time. Very nice and historic and very high end. Looks down on the Prado museum. Very well decorated. The person that checks you in walks you up to your room to make sure everything is OK. Door room keys look like the originals from 100 years ago!! Just a really nice place and you cannot beat the location. Walk to the museums, restaurants, plaza mayor......everything! Very very expensive. I don't think you can get a room for under 250 Euros per night.....usually closer to 300euros or more. The hotel has a stunning very high end outdoor restaurant on the veranda that I went to one evening with my "companion". I will remember that meal and evening for the rest of my life. Dining under the stars, 75 degrees temperature, looking down on the illuminated Prado Museum, champagne, waiters falling over themselves to help you (I think they were turned on by my hot companion).....just spectacular. I don't know if that restaurant is open in the winter however. May be too cold.

The other hotel I have stayed at four times is the Westin Palace. Across the street from the Prado museum. Just celebrated their 100 year anniversary. Very historic (like the Ritz) and has a stunning restaurant area where breakfast is served. Painted glass dome and everything. Lovely overall. Expensive also.....although somewhat cheaper than the Ritz. If you book three or more nights, you can get additional discounts. Also, the price varies depending on the time of year. I have gotten rooms as cheap as 165 euros per night and other times paid more.

I realize these sorts of hotels are not for everyone. Obviously, there are tons of hotels in both cities so you will be spoiled for choice. Best path forward is to decide what part of town you want to stay in and then look for properties in that are that are in line with your budget.

I have been to loads of restaurants in Madrid. PM me if you need additional information. Have fun!!

Thanks, I didn't mean to imply that I was seeking out a hotel which was principally gay oriented; I just know of these two. I thank you very much for your suggestions/recommendations. -:) -:)

Archived