New Cultural Centers

Karl-G
This topic is 4615 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Two new major cultural centers are opening within the next week in the U.S., the Kaufman Center for the Performing Arts in Kansas City and the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas.

It would be nice if anyone visits them to let us know your impressions. The print critics are rather cautious. The Walmart museum in Arkansas looks very interesting, but you can't tell from photos or articles how big it is. How big of a collection do they have? Is it as large as the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena? One critic has pointed out a problem that I wondered about. Is it possible today, even if you have tons of money, to build a first-rate comprehensive art collection? Or are all the major pieces already in some museum? The Getty, with its virtually unlimited resources, has not been able to build a first-rate collection; most of it is decidedly second-rate.

The Kaufman Center has two theaters, I believe. It will be interesting to hear about the interiors, the sounds, the sightlines, and also what the neighborhood is like. Do you feel like having dinner and a drink a block away and walking or is this the only destination? How does this relate to its area and the city? Kansas City has an amazingly supportative attitude toward the arts.

• 2 weeks later...

This last week I saw the Lyric opening production of Turandot and the Kaufman Center was "fabulous" as was the production. First, the production had over 100 people on stage at times with new sets and costumes. It was a wonderful production.

Now the Kaufman center itelf: WONDERFUL. Easy access in and out. Lots of leg room in the seats. The titles were on the seat in front of you like the MET. The orchestra is out in front of the stage and the sound was terrific. The chorus was clearly heard as were the singers. The sightlines were excellent. Nice bathrooms and plenty of them. The sound in the hall was as good as it gets. Shortly, i will have a concert in the other hall for orchestra; from what I understand, the sound there is excellent as well. It has a huge organ and I do not know when I will get a chance to hear it.

The lobby was spacious with a great view South. Plenty of room. the Ingram Angel Room was six times the size of the old one with two bathrooms. Easy to get to and places to sit. the Guild room was actually three rooms. The parking garage was fine when there is an event only in one hall; I guess when there are multiple events, there is a parking shortage so some people will need to park outside.

The main problem will be getting tickets as much is sold out for this first season (all the performances for Turandot were sold out).

The area is just north of "The Crossroads" which is like Soho in NYC with lots of art galleries and restaurants. I actually came early and parked on the street (for free) and had dinner at Webster House (a school from the 19th century that is now a restaurant and antique shop with excellent food); there are other good restaurants near by. The center is near the freeways so it is quick to get anywhere (I got home in Prairie Village in about 20 minutes).

For the next opera, I have reservations at Webster House; the operas start at 7:30 so 5:30 reservations are good as the kitchen is slow but the food is great and the atmosphere is excellent as is the service.

In the Spring, they are doing Nixon in China and I believe it will be a great production as they are going all out. I have seen the one from the MET and while the third act is a let down, the first two acts are wonderful and I especially love "I Am The Wife of Mao" (the only problem is that anyone under 35 or so has no idea what the "Red Book" is; ask young people and you will see).

Kansas City is a great city for the arts.

Archived