Jeremy Jordan Doing Double Duty

Lucky
This topic is 4622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just a Little Moonlighting on Broadway

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/18/arts/18JORDAN_SPAN/18JORDAN_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg

Featured in today's NYTimes is studly Jeremy Jordan, who will be performing in the Paper Mill Playhouse production of Newsies at night, and rehearsing for Bonnie & Clyde in Manhattan by day. When I saw Bonnie & Clyde at the La Jolla Playhouse, Stark Sands was playing Clyde, and he was delightful and adorable. But now he has lost out on this role since he chose to play in American Idiot instead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/theater/jeremy-jordan-in-newsies-and-bonnie-clyde.html?ref=theater

Pics from nytimes.com

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Newsies this weekend and was blown away by this hot young man's voice and charisma. The show is terrific, a score filled with power-ballads and character anthems. The dancing is muscular and aggressive and the book, (by Harvey Fierstein), works well. There's a lot of talk that this will come into NY at the 11th hour filling a slot in the NEW MUSICAL category. (Which as of now only consists of Bonnie and Clyde, Lysistrata Jones as definites; and London's Ghost-The Musical, and Rebecca as rumors.) I don't know what the Tony committee will determine about Porgy and Bess as an original or revival production.

I think that should Newsies arrive, it will definitely be a front runner for best score, book and musical, (having seen Bonnie and Clyde in California and L. Jones off-Broadway), and will also be in the sets and lights categories. Very interesting that Mr. Jordan will be competing as Clyde Barrow against the person who takes his role here. (Unless B&C doesn't catch at all.)

This plays for two more weeks at Paper Mill Playhouse which is only a 40 train ride from NY's Penn station, and I recommend the trip. (Especially if you can sneak out for the rare Thursday matinee.)

Jeremy Jordan will take the place of Stark Sands as Clyde in Bonnie and Clyde, so it is only fitting that Sands take his place in Newsies. Right now Sands is filming with Clint Eastwood, but should that finish in time, he could do it! I liked Stark Sands in Bonnie & Clyde at the La Jolla Playhouse, although he seemed a bit young for the role.

Archived