The Fall theater Season in NYC

edjames
This topic is 4624 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A Fall theater preview for Broadway and off-Broadway…

Sept 12 – Follies - Marriott Marquis Theater – Bernadette Peters stars in the Kennedy Center revival of Stephen Sondheim’s classic musical.

Sept 14 – Play It Cool – Acorn Theater on 42nd St – Sally Mayes stars in this 1950’s Hollywood gay-themed show.

Sept 27 – The Submission – Lucille Lortel Theater on Christopher St – Hunky Glee heartthrob Jonathan Groff stars in MCC’s opener.

Oct 3 – Dreams of Flying Dreams of Falling – Reed Birney and Christine Lahti star in Adam Rapp’s latest at the Atlantic Theater Co, directed by Neil Pepe.

Oct 4 – Motherhood Out Loud – Primary Stages production with Randy Graff and James Lescesne.

Oct 9 – Man and Boy – Roundabout’s new production of Terrance Rattigan’s play starring3 time Tony winner Frank Langella.

Oct 11 – Chinglish – David Henry Hwang’s new play

Oct 11 – The Lyons – Nicky Silvers latest at The Vineyard starring Linda Lavin

Oct 13 – The Mountaintop – movies stars Samuel L. Jackson and Angela basset star in a new play about Martin Luther King.

Oct 13 – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf – Steppenwolf’s production with Amy Morton and Tracy Letts 50 years after the original production opened.

Oct 20 – Relatively Speaking – 3 one act plays by Ethan Coen, Elaine May, and Woody Allen directed by John Tuturro.

Nov 3 – Other Desert Cities – this Lincoln center production moves to Broadway with Stockard Channing, Stacy Keach, Judith Light, and Rachel Griffiths

Nov 7 – Godspell – The long awaited revival of Stephen Schwartz’s musical with Hunter Parrish

Nov 8 – Venus In Fur – starring tony nominee Nina Arianda and British heartthrob Hugh Dancy at MTC.

Nov 17 – Private Lives – yet another revival of the Noel Coward classic from the West End starring Kim Catrall and Paul Gross.

Nov 20 – Seminar – Lily Rabe and Alan Rickman star in Theresa Rebeck’s new play.

Nov 21 – An evening With Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin – reunited for the first time since they appeared together in Evita.

AND, rumor says lookout for Hugh Jackman to bring his one man concert to Broadway in late October...

ED

Another Off-Broadway play is Ascuncion, starring Jesse Eisenberg, who played that Facebook guy in The Social Network and an Orthodox Jewish drug dealer in Holy Rollers, among other movies.

http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/The-Social-Network-Jesse-Eisenberg-1-31-8-10-kc.jpg

Ascuncion

October 12th – November 27th, 2011

Edgar and Vinny are not racist. In fact, Edgar maintains a blog condemning American imperialism and Vinny is three-quarters into a PhD in Black Studies. When a young Filipina woman named Asuncion becomes their new roommate, the pair have a perfect opportunity to demonstrate how open-minded they truly are. Academy Award-nominated Jesse Eisenberg’s hilarious and heartbreaking new play explores the complicated ways we exploit culture and politics for our own needs. The cast will include Jesse Eisenberg and the production will be presented off-site at Cherry Lane Theatre. Justin Bartha, who was also in Holly Rollers, plays Vinny.

Tickets go on sale in one week- September 12th.

I was able to get front row seats for this show (Asuncion). Now I hope I don't repeat the turn of events that I had when I bought tickets to see Jonathan Groff up close in an off-Broadway show.

He wasn't nearly as cute as he appeared in Spring Awakening with that blond wig.

When "Spring Awakening" was still playing off-Broadway, there was a guest speaker after the last afternoon performance. When I went outdoors on a beautiful August afternoon, Jonathan Groff and the many of the other cast members were hanging around enjoying the day, and waiting for the final evening performance. Groff was talking to his cousin, and I joined the conversation. He talked about being initially concerned anout the nudity, but after the first time he dropped his pants on stage it was no longer an issue. I got to see Groff up close, and thought he very good looking, if not the most handsome guy I have even seen.

But I understand he is not everyone's type.

Saw a preview of "The Submission" today. Jonathan Groff looking good. The cast of 4 consists of 3 men and 1 woman. All three men are good looking, but Groff is not the sexiest. That would be the tall, ultra-cute Will Rogers. Groff's character in the play is a gay man, and Eddie Kaye Thomas plays his boyfriend. Rogers plays a college classmate of Groff who is his best friend but straight. The show itself is interesting and provocative, although it descends a bit into melodrama towards the end. But it will have you thinking about the difficulties of stereotyping and communication and conflicting perspectives. I think it's worth seeing. No skin, for those who are into that, but about 90 minutes or so of absorbing drama.

I saw "The Submission" last night, good cast & sold-out theater. I liked it, but was expecting more. Perhaps the word of mouth and reviews had set me up for an even more confrontation play. Nice to see Groff playing an unlikable character. But, the author did not give him much of an argument as to why a gay author would consider himself oppressed, not in 2011.

Archived