Irene

Diverdan
This topic is 4629 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

These asshole politicians in NYC are on TV now saying that the damage wasnt as bad as expected because of the "preparations" taken by govt officials and the response of the NY peoples.

Are these Yahoos now taking credit for the downgrading of the storm ? How ridiculous !!!!! Leave it to politicians to pat themselves on the back and take credit for everything (when things turn out good), when in fact THEY should be thanking Mother Nature....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live upstate, mid-Hudson area. We've been saturated with rain all summer, so the worst from Irene was flooding basements -- the ground just couldn't absorb any more water. Lots of voluntary closings up this way -- stores closed, church services cancelled. People took the warnings seriously. Very few reports of real trouble. The wind is starting up again, and with the ground as saturated as it is, there will probably be more trees down if the wind amounts to much.

I think everyone in government learned a lesson from Katrina, and that is, Don't Wait. If people might be in danger, act. Irene came in here with less of a whallop than predicted. Good. So NYC loses a few billions in weekend sales because Bloomberg pulled the trigger and told people to leave. Better that than dozens or hundreds dead and God knows how much other preventable damage.

If Irene and the other weird weather this summer are precursors of global climate change, then I think we will all learn to be more nimble about these things. Maybe some serious attention will be paid to how power is delivered -- your old fashioned power lines that come down and hundreds of thousands are cut off might be redesigned. People will perhaps get a bit more organized about where to go when things get dangerous. Governments will fine tune their responses. It may happen more than it used to.

I just heard a news blurb of how Oral Roberts/Falwell/Pat Robertson have teamed up with other alleged christian leaders and are explaining that the hurricane is god's wrath being directed at NYC because they passed Same Sex Marriage.

Well...considering that Oral Roberts and Jerry Falwell are seriously dead we may need to reevaluate the explanation. If Roberts and Falwell have teamed up with living Christian leaders to issue this statement then there's a bigger news story here than some silly old hurricane and same sex marriage.

Well...considering that Oral Roberts and Jerry Falwell are seriously dead we may need to reevaluate the explanation. If Roberts and Falwell have teamed up with living Christian leaders to issue this statement then there's a bigger news story here than some silly old hurricane and same sex marriage.

Guess they really were born again Christians!

I did lose power at 8:30 last night (I'll take that up with LBT later) but it was just restored, a full 24 hours ahead of when Dominion said it would be.

JAG -- you do realize that there is a rather hefty Early Reconnection Fee. On behalf of Dominion, I am authorized to collect it. So if you want to send me your payment information in a PM, I'll be happy to take care of it for you.

:)

I don't know why I find this pic (well the caption actually) so amusing:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqm8a71WZu1ql22p0o1_500.jpg

It must have been the weather that distorted the sign because it actually said

LBT GETS POUNDED BY DAVE

Boston Bill

Archived