Eartthquake in Virginia

seeker630
This topic is 4641 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sitting on the back porch of my house in New Jersey visiting with a friend I had not seen in 20 years and the earthquake struck in the middle of our visit....we both decided that it was a sign not to let 20 years go by before we see each other again.

Amazing my dog who "quakes" (get the pun) at fireworks, thunder and even the garbage truck...never even woke from her nap!

ok here's the dc update - and what specifically happened to me, for anyone interested.

dc damage to the natl cathedral buttresses and cracks in the wash monument. a pool in washington sports club overflowed and water poured into the target and best buy stores below, forcing them to close. cell phone lines completely tied up - that lasted for hours. all over town, metro service was delayed. and so was the nats game, which i had tickets for. luckily the game only started about 30 minutes late. unluckily the nats lost to the diamondbacks - maybe because home turf didnt quite feel like home turf?

i was in my gym when the quake occurred. actually i was in the locker room, getting changed. just a MINUTE before it started, a hot guy in a towel steps into my locker bank. then the rattling began. imagine hundreds of metal lockers all rattling... we looked at each other and started a conversation about it. turns out he's from california and quite used to earthquakes, and i've been in several myself - we both instantly felt like we knew what was going on. two minutes later i had his email address. five minutes after that the gym got evacuated. and ten minutes after that, i was working out.

when i got back to my house i found art askew on the walls, and a bronze sculpture had fallen over. amazing - but no damage to it, or the tiled floor it fell onto.

thanks to those who called and emailed. i am alive and well and about to fly into key west. gulp.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived