One Month Left For Death Takes A Holiday

Lucky
This topic is 4680 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Roundabout Theater Production of Death Takes a Holiday is scheduled to close on September 4th. I saw it recently and was quite surprised at the first scene. I sat there thinking I had made a huge mistake, and went through the list of other shows I could have seen. That scene may be a bad way to start the show, silly as it is, but once the character playing Death took the stage, everything turned around and I stayed for a masterful comedy. Here's a plot summary from the NY Times, where viewers have rated the show 4 0f 5 stars:

Plot Description for Death Takes a Holiday

'Death Takes a Holiday' is a new musical from Maury Yeston. it's just after World War I and the loneliest of souls arrives at an Italian villa disguised as a handsome young Prince, and for the first time experiences the joys and heartbreaks of life. The show began as an Alberto Casella play from the 1920s that was made into a 1934 film starring Fredric March as Death, disguised as a debonair nobleman. The original film was remade in 1998 as 'Meet Joe Black,' starring Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins.

(***Popular male star Matt Cavanaugh pretties up the cast.)

UPDATE: Death is sick. After I posted this, I saw today's NY Times, where this is reported: The British actor Julian Ovenden, whose powerful tenor and leading-man looks positioned him as a star attraction in the new Off Broadway musical “Death Takes a Holiday,” has departed the Roundabout Theater Company production and will be replaced by an understudy, a Roundabout spokesman announced on Wednesday night. (I thought he really made the show. His understudy, Kevin Earley will replace him through the run.))

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this again, because I enjoyed it greatly the first time and I took a friend for her birthday. Like most of Yeston's scores, the score consists of mostly marvelous character developing art songs, (as did his shows Nine and Grand Hotel.) Some of the songs are just lovely and I look forward to the CD. I can report that Kevin Early, the understudy who replaced the vocally ailing Julian Ovenden, sings the hell out of it. He also made the recording. While he isn't as visually captivating as Ovenden, Mr. Early does a great job in the role and I hope his agent is getting casting directors to go see him. He will have a real future.

Archived