25th Anniversary Les Miz

jackhammer91406
This topic is 4696 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A newly envisioned production of this classic piece of musical theater is playing in the Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center in Los Angeles. It is a limited engagement.

The staging , scenery, and even orchestrations are all new. The cast I saw was extremely talented and the chorus was by far the best I have ever seen in this piece of material. The crisp,clear attack of the group vocals was quite a pleasant change from what I am used to with this piece. The dramatic intensity was heightened but not at the expense of the music. The orchestra was larger and more lush than a normal touring pit orchestra and the evening benefited from it immensely.

The individual performances of the principal characters were uniformly high in my estimation. The substantial sets and dazzling projections were very well executed. When iconic numbers came, they were handled with both reverence and a fresh take. Not an easy thing to do with such a famous piece of material that had been performed thousands of times in it's original staging. The memory of that incredible turntable and barricade fades pretty quickly with the new visions and pictures designed to fill your memory with a new experience.

I liked it, in case that is not coming through clearly.

It is a very limited run and tickets may be scarce for remaining shows, but worth it if you can get one.

It was also a treat to run into a friend at the theatre that I met on this site years ago who is now a MERMan. Great to have a few minutes to catch up with an old acquaintance.

Any chance that this production will tour?

I saw a national touring company do this version the end of May in Salt Lake City. It's also coming to my 2nd home (Portland) in September.

The staging was fantastic and I didn't even miss the revolving stage. Will probably see it again in Portland.

A newly envisioned production of this classic piece of musical theater is playing in the Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center in Los Angeles. It is a limited engagement.

The staging , scenery, and even orchestrations are all new. The cast I saw was extremely talented and the chorus was by far the best I have ever seen in this piece of material. The crisp,clear attack of the group vocals was quite a pleasant change from what I am used to with this piece. The dramatic intensity was heightened but not at the expense of the music. The orchestra was larger and more lush than a normal touring pit orchestra and the evening benefited from it immensely.

The individual performances of the principal characters were uniformly high in my estimation. The substantial sets and dazzling projections were very well executed. When iconic numbers came, they were handled with both reverence and a fresh take. Not an easy thing to do with such a famous piece of material that had been performed thousands of times in it's original staging. The memory of that incredible turntable and barricade fades pretty quickly with the new visions and pictures designed to fill your memory with a new experience.

I liked it, in case that is not coming through clearly.

It is a very limited run and tickets may be scarce for remaining shows, but worth it if you can get one.

It was also a treat to run into a friend at the theatre that I met on this site years ago who is now a MERMan. Great to have a few minutes to catch up with an old acquaintance.[/color][/size][/font]

I love the show. I hope it does tour. But what is a MERMan?

Rex

But what is a MERMan? Rex

The designation refers to a man who posts on another site similar to this one.

The MER is an acronym for the site name and well man is...man.

To SFwestcoaster..in looking on the website for the tour, sadly the closest it will get to you is in the northwest unless I read it wrong.

Guest rohale

25th Anniversary Of Les Miserables

I had the wonderful opportunity of attending the 25th anniversary of Les Miserables at the London O2 arena in October of last year. Since it was for the anniversary special as a fan I wasn't quite sure what to expect. In the aftermath my thinking was this was one of the most spectacular theater productions I've ever experienced. I still feel to this day that being in the audience was a tremendous privilege. I remember saying to a friend of mine at the time that we were lucky enough to witness something so special and grand. It would be an understatement to say that Cameron Mackintosh and Co put something wonderful together for the anniversay special. They went above and beyond and the icing on the cake or to speak was witnessing members of the original 1985 cast grace the stage with their presence and have a go at a song or two. In the months that have passed, for me this has become one of the most cherished theatre experiences I've ever had.

Archived